National Geographic has free USGS quads in pdf for whole US

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
vibramhead

National Geographic has free USGS quads in pdf for whole US

Post by vibramhead » August 5th, 2016, 6:22 am

Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

CampinCarl

Re: National Geographic has free USGS quads in pdf for whole

Post by CampinCarl » August 5th, 2016, 6:55 am

Wow, this is way cool. This should help lessen taking letter-sized screenshots off the full topos and pasting them into Word to print on my letter size printer at home. :D

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 5th, 2016, 7:24 am

Any way to tell if these are geo referenced? As in, can I locate myself w/ a gps using PDF maps on them?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 5th, 2016, 9:36 am

I don't see the benefit here or at least there are better options in my opinion. :?

Printing a 8 1/2 x 11 GEO referenced PDF from Caltopo can be done for any location and at any scale. Also, CalTopo has many map types, so you're not limited to a 22 year old USGS topo map.

I'm not affiliated with CalTopo, just a huge fan. :)
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 5th, 2016, 9:42 am

Peabody wrote:I don't see the benefit here or at least there are better options in my opinion. :?

Printing a 8 1/2 x 11 GEO referenced PDF from Caltopo can be done for any location and at any scale. Also, CalTopo has many map types, so you're not limited to a 22 year old USGS topo map.

Thanks Peabody, I hadn't really played around with all of Caltopo's features and you're correct, it is a much more customizable option for exporting to geopdf / printing.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 5th, 2016, 11:25 am

I guess they're kind of handy.... Unfortunately most interesting places in the gorge love to span map boundaries, and you're just adding more boundaries within that, so the likelihood you're going to get your entire hike on a single page is even less now.

I'm not a fan of his borders, but CalTopo is a good tool for this, will generate geotagged pdf's for you, and can establish multi-page printouts that are specific to what you need/want.

I'm also a huge fan of the Forest Service quads for use, when available. They're a dramatic saver in toner/ink, and tend to be a little clearer. They do sacrifice some information off the map though to accomplish that, so it's a little bit of a tossup.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 5th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Peabody wrote:I don't see the benefit here or at least there are better options in my opinion. :?

Wow, I didn't know you could do this that's very cool. Last time I checked out Caltopo a few years ago the interface seemed very clunky. Much better now, opened an account!

Thanks for the tip.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 7th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Another Caltopo fan here. One of my favorite features is the layers of land management (under map overlays) so you can see all the publicly-owned lands. It easily opens up so many options for custom, offtrail trips and eliminates the guesswork of whether or not you are trespassing.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown