Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Re: Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Post by Koda » August 3rd, 2016, 9:21 am

Guy wrote:Rather than folding and scanning Koda maybe try photographing then cropping and stitching.
possibly, but that sounds like more work with less quality than scanning? Im not very good at graphic editing or using graphic software like Gimp.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 3rd, 2016, 10:14 am

If you find someone with a large-scale scanner, I'd love to hear who and what they charge. I have some I'd like to do the same with. (And once digital, it's a simple matter to georeference and use with PDF Maps!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » August 3rd, 2016, 11:18 am

kepPNW wrote:If you find someone with a large-scale scanner, I'd love to hear who and what they charge. I have some I'd like to do the same with. (And once digital, it's a simple matter to georeference and use with PDF Maps!)
will do, will be happy to share what I end up with too. If I have to go that route I hope its not that expensive. If its affordable Ill scan some other maps Id rather have in digital format... I know Ive worn out at least 2 copies of MHNF.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 3rd, 2016, 11:47 am

Koda wrote:
kepPNW wrote:If you find someone with a large-scale scanner, I'd love to hear who and what they charge. I have some I'd like to do the same with. (And once digital, it's a simple matter to georeference and use with PDF Maps!)
will do, will be happy to share what I end up with too. If I have to go that route I hope its not that expensive. If its affordable Ill scan some other maps Id rather have in digital format... I know Ive worn out at least 2 copies of MHNF.
Cool, thanks! I know that "another forum poster" :lol: once had Kinkos (I think?) scan a fairly big gorge map, and it wasn't prohibitive. But I think they're out of business now...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 3rd, 2016, 6:17 pm

kepPNW wrote:Cool, thanks! I know that "another forum poster" :lol: once had Kinkos (I think?) scan a fairly big gorge map, and it wasn't prohibitive. But I think they're out of business now...
D'oh! I'll never live that one down. Sorry, EP! :lol:

Kinkos is owned by Fedex so they should still be able to scan.

Koda, does the Forestry Center on Hwy 6 not carry these maps? I assumed they would.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Koda

Post by Koda » August 3rd, 2016, 6:39 pm

sprengers4jc wrote: Koda, does the Forestry Center on Hwy 6 not carry these maps? I assumed they would.
I honestly don’t know, never stopped in there. I do know they are no longer available at any of the stores that sells maps. At least not REI, or on line, in fact you can barely find the REI image of one on Google...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 3rd, 2016, 11:06 pm

So seriously, there's a couple options. If you cannot find a large scale scanner, it can be cut up and Photoshopped together. Cutting it will be less work to stitch it back together than folding it. Either method will require some decent amount of work to get it seamless, foldless, and orthagonal, but it's something that I have the ability to do. I have very good photo retouching skills and great attention to detail.

If you can't find someone to scan it in one chunk, I can do it on a rainy day and you'll have a permanent digital version at your disposal.
- Michael

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2016, 6:00 am

You don't have to cut it

Just take as many pictures as it takes to get the whole thing, then stitch them together

Or print each picture on seperate page. Some overlap would be fine.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 4th, 2016, 9:15 am

Unless you lay it perfectly flat and have the camera perfectly placed perpendicular to the surface it's on you will introduce distortion. The lens will also introduce barrel or pincushion or complex distortion too.

Yes he will have a usable image but I think this might be worth archiving. Maybe not. Maybe I can get poor copy and just as it all to OSM or Google and it won't matter
- Michael