Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Re: Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Post by Koda » August 4th, 2016, 10:56 am

Lurch, thanks for the links. It will be another week before I get to this (I might actually get to go backpacking this weekend…) but I will call around for prices tomorrow.

Does anyone know or recommend a preferred format? PDF, tif, jpg, png….

I don’t know whats best. I imagine if I had it as one huge seamless file I would get it plotted or I could take screenshots or print segments at home on my personal printer, as needed… (8.5x11”).
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 4th, 2016, 11:24 am

Koda wrote:Does anyone know or recommend a preferred format? PDF, tif, jpg, png….
PNG and TIF are (or at least can be) lossless. Stick with those for the scan, if possible. You can always create smaller, lossy JPGs as needed. PDF is just a container for whatever's stuffed into it.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 4th, 2016, 5:03 pm

agreed, PNG or TIFF will give you the highest quality for print reproduction. That said, Jpg's aren't so bad if they're at a decent resolution.

Those are going to be *huge* files though. My 300dpi scan of the 24x36" Trails of the Columbia Gorge map sits at about 220mb per side as a tif. Not something you'd want to pull up on your phone like that.

For large format scanners they usually aren't pressed against a plate like a normal scanner would be, so you may want to think about leaving it open flat somewhere for awhile, and possibly even carefully ironing it to get as many of the folds out as possible

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 4th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Koda wrote:this is the map I have... https://www.rei.com/product/695434/till ... -and-guide

since I cant find a source to buy another one, does anyone know a way to replicate this map digitally or otherwise?
That's a great map, Koda. I've got an old beat up copy of that myself somewhere. It's nuts that they aren't publishing it, or a new edition. :/
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Koda

Post by Koda » August 4th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Crusak wrote:That's a great map, Koda. I've got an old beat up copy of that myself somewhere. It's nuts that they aren't publishing it, or a new edition. :/
I'll buy it from you.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 4th, 2016, 8:13 pm

Lurch wrote:agreed, PNG or TIFF will give you the highest quality for print reproduction. That said, Jpg's aren't so bad if they're at a decent resolution.

Those are going to be *huge* files though. My 300dpi scan of the 24x36" Trails of the Columbia Gorge map sits at about 220mb per side as a tif. Not something you'd want to pull up on your phone like that.

For large format scanners they usually aren't pressed against a plate like a normal scanner would be, so you may want to think about leaving it open flat somewhere for awhile, and possibly even carefully ironing it to get as many of the folds out as possible
good advice, when I’m ready I will leave is spread out in the garage for a day or two.

I figured the files would be huge, I don’t plan on using my phone... this will live on my workstation and I will print screenshots or other segments from it as needed.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 9th, 2016, 7:17 am

Lurch wrote: My 300dpi scan of the 24x36" Trails of the Columbia Gorge map sits at about 220mb per side as a tif. Not something you'd want to pull up on your phone like that.
Not to get off subject, but Lurch - is that the old (mostly) brown and white map that was sold about 15-20 years ago? I think I've got that map also. It's all taped up and well used. I wish they published that one still, it's a great map!
Koda wrote:
Crusak wrote:That's a great map, Koda. I've got an old beat up copy of that myself somewhere. It's nuts that they aren't publishing it, or a new edition. :/
I'll buy it from you.
Koda, if you are interested I may consider doing that. Scanning the map would be of benefit also. Previously I said that mine is an "old beat up copy" but really I don't think it has been used much. Let me know if you are interested in scanning my map or purchasing it (or both - maybe we could get my copy scanned and split the cost?) You know how to get ahold of me. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 9th, 2016, 7:24 am

Crusak wrote:
Lurch wrote: My 300dpi scan of the 24x36" Trails of the Columbia Gorge map sits at about 220mb per side as a tif. Not something you'd want to pull up on your phone like that.
Not to get off subject, but Lurch - is that the old (mostly) brown and white map that was sold about 15-20 years ago? I think I've got that map also. It's all taped up and well used. I wish they published that one still, it's a great map!
Yup that's the one! If I only got one map for the gorge that would be my standard go-to

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 9th, 2016, 10:02 am

Lurch wrote:My 300dpi scan of the 24x36" Trails of the Columbia Gorge map sits at about 220mb per side as a tif. Not something you'd want to pull up on your phone like that.
Can you post a small preview/sample of this map?
- Michael

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 23rd, 2016, 11:40 am

Sorry bout the delay there! couple small pics
TOTCG_Over.JPG
TOTCG_closeup.JPG