Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Post by Koda » July 26th, 2016, 10:57 am

Im specifically looking for a map of the Tillamook State forest and cannot find any source to acquire one. So my first question here is does anyone know?
(I'd also be interested in a map soource for any of Oregons state forests...)

I have a good copy of the Tillamook state forest map but, its no longer published. I keep using it but its wearing out fast, its the only reliable map I know of. Its your typical huge fold out map not unlike any national forest map you buy. If there is no current source to buy a new one...
my second question is there any way to replicate this map electronically, full scale?

(I'll post a picture of the map when I get home if it helps)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Re: Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Post by Koda » August 2nd, 2016, 2:25 pm

this is the map I have... https://www.rei.com/product/695434/till ... -and-guide

since I cant find a source to buy another one, does anyone know a way to replicate this map digitally or otherwise?

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 2nd, 2016, 5:31 pm

There are a few places around that do large format scanning, generally for art reproductions, but it works in this case. We recently got one of the old gorge maps scanned... It can be a little expensive for a one off, but better than trying to scan pieces and stitch it back together.

I'll look around, I may have some copies of that map

Koda

Post by Koda » August 2nd, 2016, 7:21 pm

I was wondering if someplace like Kinkos could handle that. Id even consider cutting the map in half...
...and as long as it wouldnt cost too much. If so, then Im kinda nerdy enough to scan it at home in 8.5x11 pieces...

(it really is the best map of the Tillamook State Forest....)

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 2nd, 2016, 9:31 pm

You might also contact the GIS team at ODF- [email protected] and see if they have a copy of the map digitally in archives somewhere. They may be able / willing to send it to you. Not sure if they would charge or not. It's worth a shot, anyway.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 2nd, 2016, 10:30 pm

Cut it up and scan it in chunks. I could do it if you can wait a month
- Michael

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 3rd, 2016, 5:43 am

[quote="Koda"]I was wondering if someplace like Kinkos could handle that.

Fedex Office can copy pretty large engineering drawings. Call around to find a location that does large format scanning.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 3rd, 2016, 7:43 am

CampinCarl wrote:You might also contact the GIS team at ODF- [email protected] and see if they have a copy of the map digitally in archives somewhere. They may be able / willing to send it to you. Not sure if they would charge or not. It's worth a shot, anyway.
I have already emailed the Oregon Forestrys generic contact email and no reply yet. Thanks for the more direct email contact though, I will give that email address a try

Koda

Post by Koda » August 3rd, 2016, 8:04 am

kaltbluter wrote:
Koda wrote:I was wondering if someplace like Kinkos could handle that.

Fedex Office can copy pretty large engineering drawings. Call around to find a location that does large format scanning.
I think this will have to be my next step if I exhaust all efforts to buy a new one. I really dont want to cut up my map in 8x11 chunks and scan at home... I've tried carefully folding it but then the edges were a little blurry from the scanner, this worked though for the area I regularly visit so I didn't have to wear out my real map.

Here is a 1:1 screenshot of a sample of a scanned portion of the map. This is the only map I have ever seen of the TSF that actually shows all the roads and very accurately too including spur roads. The topography level is good enough to navigate off trail, the map does come alive in color. You can see why I need to preserve this map....

Attachments
sample.JPG

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2016, 9:09 am

Rather than folding and scanning Koda maybe try photographing then cropping and stitching.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors