Current Photos Of Eagle Creek Trail Campsites?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
MarkInTheDark

Current Photos Of Eagle Creek Trail Campsites?

Post by MarkInTheDark » November 11th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Well since this is the Idle Chatter place... I just wonder if, by now, there might be some photos of the various familiar areas of the Eagle Creek Trail. You know, places like: Punchbowl Falls, Loowit Falls, does High Bridge still exist?, Tenas Camp, Wy'East Camp, Tunnel Falls, Seven and a Half Mile Camp.

Remember those golden greats? But seriously, I was just wondering if anyone has seen any current photos of the ole Eagle Creek spots? Official or not?

Chip Down

Re: Current Photos Of Eagle Creek Trail Campsites?

Post by Chip Down » November 11th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I'm curious too. I suppose most of us are.
MarkInTheDark wrote: Official or not?
I doubt any official pics will be released, because the authorities probably think it would entice people. I think the official stance right now is to pretend the gorge doesn't exist (except to fine trespassers). Unofficial pics would be pretty incriminating, so there probably won't be any of those either. I'll post pics when I get back into the Oregon side of the gorge, but I'll be careful to look for access points that aren't blatantly illegal (i.e. hiking on, or alongside, or even just crossing, a closed trail). For now I'm remaining patient and looking for other hiking opportunities.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » November 12th, 2017, 6:45 am

Hey Chip! For sure you are right. If Eagle Creek and the surrounding trails were not so important... and such a big deal... And yes, I'm sure there are some potentially dangerous places... not safe for non-professional trail/fire people.

But I think the public has a right to know, just like in any other legitimate news story.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 12th, 2017, 7:47 am

oh no

on the TV news they said they are replacing the temporary plastic closure signs with more permanent metal signs

probably a conspiracy to permanently close the gorge because they're meanies :)

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » November 12th, 2017, 11:17 am

I might survive the closure if maybe, perhaps, some news source, like the Hood River News photographer(s) could do a story on the area trails. Can't wait til we are allowed to help.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 12th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Yeah

and I can't wait until it's opened again so I can see it. I'd like to go up Herman Creek, down Nick Eaton or something like that. That area isn't supposed to be too bad.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » February 28th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Some excellent after the burn photos of the Eagle Creek, Tanner Butte, Herman Creek areas...

https://wyeastblog.org/2018/02/27/after ... rt-2-of-2/

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 4th, 2018, 6:07 pm

This is not so idle, but Zach Urness published the full Forest Service trail report in the Statesman Journal:

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/n ... 050071001/

State Parks has done their own assessments. TKO is actively working in State Parks areas; next week we begin Angels Rest (which is both State Parks and USFS). We'll also tidy up Mitchell Point and Wygant even though those are now open again. The PCTA is currently working on Herman Creek; they will also do the PCT and Eagle Creek, Herman and Eagle being "alternate routes."

As you can tell by looking at the report, there's nothing on Eagle Creek itself yet. Since the tread was basically blasted out of a cliff, it will mainly require scraping all the debris off; however, with lots of stuff still coming down and rearranged hydrology on the steep slopes, I'm sure it's not safe for anyone to go in there yet let alone a trail crew. As for campsites, an assessment would have to be made on all the new "widow makers" that might come crashing down during a dark night . . .

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » April 4th, 2018, 12:28 pm

True or not? Just saw this on Reddit by aaronkz ... thought some might like seeing this unofficial report...

"Herman Creek and Nick Eaton are pretty much clear and just need logout for a few hazardous trees. The PCT is going to be cleared soon. Angel's Rest is also nearing completion. Crews have been making good progress, working from both directions.

Since there's no way to open one trail at a time, the whole system will likely open all at once, with the exception of the absolutely wrecked Eagle Creek and Oneota areas.

Nobody's putting any kind of date on it, but if I had to guess, I would say that the floodgates will open before July, depending on how quickly qualified sawyers can get rounded up and sent in for logout."

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 5th, 2018, 7:17 am

On May 2 there will be a panel discussion about the state of the trails at Lagunitas Community Room.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gorge-talk ... 3994005254