Instagram as a positive force?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
BigBear

Re: Instagram as a positive force?

Post by BigBear » August 11th, 2017, 8:36 am

Oh, yes, people who are breaking the rules (and the law) are so receptive to criticism, no matter how civil it is delivered.

Case in point: Black Sands Geyser Basin. Trailhead sign with red, bold-printed warning "Stay on the Boardwalks." The same warning is posted EVERYWHERE in the geyser basins. You have to be either a complete idiot or simply don't care not to know this regulation at Yellowstone. Don't care is probably the motivator behind the behavior.

A friend of mine pointed this out to a woman and her daughter who were dipping their feet into the Firehole River. She and her husband (who was on the boardwalk) got into her face like she was the criminal, and then later on the boardwalk, they had some derogatory comments about us being "the rude group." You know, the basic criminal behavior, focusing on others to justify poor behavior.

Oh, yes, talking to criminals is such a great idea. Instagram might be an alternate that puts the offense out there to garner the shame the offense deserves. I don't Instagram so I don't know the extent of the postings, but the start of this thread seemed to be well within line of not prosecuting the innocent.

Personally, I do try to "show others the way to good behavior" and most of the time it doesn't end with an exchange of curse words, but other times I do wish I had handcuffs and a badge.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 11th, 2017, 8:48 am

It looks like they got shut down.
Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2017, 8:51 am

I think you might be surprised.

I've pointed out to switchbackers that that causes erosion, and it was received well. They probably went back to switchbacking as soon as they were out of my eyesight.

My wife ask the people camping next to us to turn down their music. They turned it up. But they didn't threaten us.

I'm not totally opposed to instagramming, but I could see how that might go bad.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 11th, 2017, 9:07 am

retired jerry wrote:I think you might be surprised.

I've pointed out to switchbackers that that causes erosion, and it was received well. They probably went back to switchbacking as soon as they were out of my eyesight.

My wife ask the people camping next to us to turn down their music. They turned it up. But they didn't threaten us.
Both of those examples show that talking to people is ineffective :)

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt. I'm really curious what it would take to encourage people to make better choices for themselves, their fellow hikers and the land they're recreating on. But I'm completely at a loss as to why people do the things they do and if there's any way practical way for you and I to effect behavior change. So it's frustrating, as someone who practices Leave No Trace and actually reads signs at trailheads, that places are being destroyed and/or more strictly regulated based on the behaviors other people choose to make. We all suffer the consequences of those choices.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2017, 10:07 am

Good questions, no clear answers

In the first case, they did quit switchbacking. Who knows if it changed their long term behavior.

In both cases it was young adult males. There's something about them that just misbehave. Maybe males should be locked up at age 18, released at age 30 :)

It's really frustrating to me to hear about vandalism. We have scarce government dollars to do stuff, but a lot of it has to go to repairing things.

I know, release the young adult males only when they're chaperoned by a female ? :)

Combination of education and law enforcement?

In the case of car break-ins, it seems like some society issues need to be addressed. I think we should consider giving people meth in return for agreeing to treatment. Then there'd be no reason for people to break into cars and steal stuff to exchange for drugs. Before that a lot of things like making education easier, and having government policies to help create more good jobs.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 11th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I think you're right, Jerry, that it's a result of much larger societal issues that are making their way into the trails.

I like the 18-30 year old male policy, haha. When are you going to run for office?

Better education, more community building. I think everyone should have to do lots of community service in their formative years so they can see how much work it is to clean up after people who destroy public lands and private property. Maybe make them think twice about adding to the problem.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm

note how I'm older than 30 :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 11th, 2017, 2:53 pm

I think everyone should have to do lots of community service in their formative years so they can see how much work it is to clean up after people who destroy public lands and private property. Maybe make them think twice about adding to the problem.

It depends. If the young people felt like their community service was in the nature of an unearned and unjust punishment, it might just make them resentful and sullen, and inspire them to seek 'revenge' on society for treating them so unfairly. To work as you envision, it would have to be a positive experience they found satisfaction in.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 11th, 2017, 2:55 pm

retired jerry wrote:I know, release the young adult males only when they're chaperoned by a female ? :)
That's when they behave worst of all. :P

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I was thinking about the time I told the young adult males that switchbacking caused erosion.

They were trying to impress some young adult females they were with.

The young adult females seemed to be embarrassed that I had to point out to the young adult males what screwups they were.

Then the young adult males started behaving because they realized their actions had the opposite effect of intended.