A little help for a dedicated volunteer

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Lurch

A little help for a dedicated volunteer

Post by Lurch » May 18th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Hi guys,

I'm sticking this in Idle Chatter hoping it will get seen a bit more than the classifieds, Mods feel free to move it if you deem it inappropriate, or pull it altogether. I wouldn't normally post it, but I'm on a mission and it's a bit more personal and close to home so I think it's well worth it.

One of my SAR team mates lost his leg on Tuesday. He had a giant cell bone tumor that ate away the bottom of his right tibia. He had surgery last spring, but it came back with vengeance this fall, ultimately ending with a lower limb amputation that played out on Tuesday morning. So I'm on the mission, with the rest of my team, to get him a new leg. One that will be capable enough to get him back out with us, and doing what he's spent literally half his life doing.

Greg has been doing Search & Rescue for the past 14 years, since he was in highschool. Literally thousands of hours spent training, teaching, planning, searching, and running missions, all over the pacific northwest. If you, or a loved one, have ever been lost in Multnomah County, there's a freakishly good chance he was somehow involved in the mission. If there's been a major mission in the region, he's probably been involved. He currently holds a position in our logistics team, and is largely responsible for our vehicles and rescue equipment, keeping us mission read 24/7/365.25 and has long been an essential part of our team.

He's a good guy, with a big heart, and is crazy enough to be a lifer dedicating huge amounts of time to unpaid volunteer wilderness SAR work, to help people in this community when they're following their passion, and things don't go as planned. We just passed the halfway mark towards our $10,000 goal, in just a day and a half. A huge chunk of that coming from our own volunteers, that honestly gets dust in my eyes thinking about. KOIN, KATU, KGW, and KPTV all interviewed him this afternoon at the hospital and will hopefully air something this evening. That goal is a small fraction of what's going to be a long, ongoing journey for him. I'm just doing my best to get him started properly to make it as easy as we can.

So if you can, please consider donating, or sharing the message to help spread the word.

He's in great spirits, and ready to start moving forward through his recovery.

A Leg for Greg

Webfoot

Re: A little help for a dedicated volunteer

Post by Webfoot » May 18th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I would like to contribute something but I wish to use PayPal or send cash, not give a CC number.

Chase

Post by Chase » May 19th, 2017, 6:06 am

http://koin.com/2017/05/18/friends-stra ... d-rescuer/

Greg's an awesome guy. Pony up, y'all.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 19th, 2017, 7:27 am

Webfoot: Understandable! I'll see what I can arrange. Not sure if he's currently on Paypal, or would be okay giving out a mailing address, so let me check on some things.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 21st, 2017, 4:00 pm

UPDATE:

We met our goal in 4 days! It's inspiring to see a community come together like this. To anyone that donated or shared I'd like to say thank you. That goal is going to pay for a decent prosthetic to hopefully get Greg back on trail, but it's barely going to touch hospital bills associated with it.

Anyone who would still like to donate to help him out, but doesn't want to use the GoFundMe is welcome to send donations to the Multnomah County River Patrol office (SAR's official mailing address)

MCSOSAR C/O Greg Wood
4325 NE Marine Dr.
Portland OR 97218