Rats are eating my tomatoes

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
retired jerry

Rats are eating my tomatoes

Post by retired jerry » October 1st, 2016, 12:21 pm

I have seen rats before, but this year is the first time I've noticed them eating my tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and melons.

Anyone else experience this?

I don't want to use blood thinner rat killer or glue traps because they seem inhumane and risk other animals.

I used corn gluten meal (RatX) which maybe worked. The one out front seems to be gone.

I used a snap trap to kill the two that were coming down to my patio during the day. Out back the rat keeps eating the tomato bit I put on the trap without tripping it no matter how hair trigger I set it. I will keep trying. This one only happens at about 10 PM or so.

I noticed a couple rats run over by cars near by which make me think it's futile me trying to kill them. The problem must be a region wide increase in rat population. If I kill the ones in my yard, more will come.

I killed a squirrel and a bird with the snap trap which is sad. I put a cover over the trap and only set it just before it gets dark to limit this.

KOIN reported that people think the rats are the result of homeless people along Springwater http://koin.com/2016/09/30/homeless-out ... -corridor/

This is obviously not true because I have them and there are no homeless people anywhere near here.

This is like blaming all our economic problems on illegal immigrants. People jump to some conclusion based on a small amount of data. Confusing correlation with causation. Politicians know this isn't true, but claim it anyway, just for political reasons.

Chase

Re: Rats are eating my tomatoes

Post by Chase » October 2nd, 2016, 7:08 am

Yeah, that's a bummer, Jerry.

First, get some cats. My cats are useless when it comes to catching vermin, but the more important thing is that cats are great.

Then, there's dry ice. Try it and let us know if it works!

I read an article recently that said there's a new drug for sterilizing rats and high hopes that it will reduce rat populations the world over.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2016, 11:16 am

Interesting.

There was a rat out front where I knew where the burrows were. I put RatX corn gluten meal in the burrows. That seemed to do the trick because after a while I filled in the burrows and the rat didn't re-excavate.

My cat is useless against vermin - because the cat is inside and the vermin are outside. That is, ignoring any of us human vermin :) I've noticed that when you let cats outside, they get hit by cars, eaten by coyotes, get into fights, or get diseases.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 2nd, 2016, 12:40 pm

retired jerry wrote:I've noticed that when you let cats outside, they get hit by cars, eaten by coyotes, get into fights, or get diseases.
...and eat native songbirds.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » October 3rd, 2016, 10:32 am

Try this product: http://www.rodenator.com/

The videos are fantastic!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 4th, 2016, 6:51 am

Two words: gene drive. Pretty soon we (mankind) will have the power to eradicate species at will. Who will wield that power? Would you get rid of all rats if you could?

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Guy

Post by Guy » October 4th, 2016, 6:53 am

Webfoot wrote:Would you get rid of all rats if you could?
YES YES YES :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 4th, 2016, 8:13 am

No, just the ones eating my tomatoes :)

I like the idea of using percussive device to kill them

I have a flamer for killing weeds, maybe somehow I could adapt that. Definitely would not want to burn them though, too inhumane.

There a box you can buy. Put bait inside. When they get inside there's a jolt of electricity to electrocute them. Maybe that would work.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 4th, 2016, 10:07 am

Rats are everywhere, so it has nothing to do with homeless populations. But it does have a lot to do with food supply. Obviously the garden is a food supply but I'm kind of surprised that growing vegetables are enough to attract them without more. Do you let ripe tomatoes stay on the ground? Or maybe have a bird feeder or pet food that is accessible? Or a compost pile with food scraps? The only time we had rats was when they built a nest in the compost. We solved that by putting a tight fitting screen on the bottom of the compost bin.

The problem we have in the garden is deer, who seem to eat everything. Unfortunately you can't trap them, etc. We found a repellant which seems to do the job. There might be repellants for rats also, like scents of natural predators that would alarm the rats. Maybe just the scent of cat urine?

Because rats carry disease, the vector control department of county government may be able to help with rat problems.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 4th, 2016, 12:40 pm

The rats climb the tomato vines and eat out the tomatoes. They also eat cucumbers and squash that are on the ground.

Rats do like my compost pile. But I put no meat or fat in it.

I don't think I did anything differently this year than previously. I never noticed rats eating my veges before. I never noticed rats run over by cars either.

I've trapped rats before on my compost pile but after I got a squirrel I sort of lost interest.

Don't let the neighbors know I've allowed the rats to be on my compost pile.

Good idea, I'll talk to vector control.

I think after all the veges are gone, it'll be easier to control them. Maybe I'll put the compost in a garbage can or something...