Happy Birthday!

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
retired jerry

Re: Happy Birthday!

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2016, 6:16 am

no picture - doesn't count :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 13th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Here's my latest find. Who can identify the setting? There's a prominent landmark in the picture.
Attachments
HB.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 13th, 2017, 9:13 pm

that's what I'm talking about, balloon trash :)

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » February 13th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Chip Down wrote:Here's my latest find. Who can identify the setting? There's a prominent landmark in the picture.
Looks like the gully immediately east of ROA Arch. Did you use the balloon to slide back down, or perhaps as a "crash pad" to exit the gully's scrambly finish?

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 13th, 2017, 10:53 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:
Chip Down wrote:Here's my latest find. Who can identify the setting? There's a prominent landmark in the picture.

Looks like the gully immediately east of ROA Arch. Did you use the balloon to slide back down, or perhaps as a "crash pad" to exit the gully's scrambly finish?
That's a good guess, Ben (especially considering the first pic here [note: Chip, it's not the question mark.]). I don't think you can get a full view of the Ridge of America arch from down in there though? So maybe he's up on the hillside to the east (a "viewpoint" off the trail?) in this pic from when we were there with EP:

I'll bet he inflated the balloon and used it to fly back down to the car! :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 14th, 2017, 6:46 am

Jerry, 1:17, not bad! :lol:

The woodpecker is right, gully just east of the Return of Adversity. No need for a crash pad, plenty of snow.

Bosterson: You may have misinterpreted my intent on that other pic. I wasn't trying to identify the Regulation of Antithesis arch, I was trying to identify where I ended up after that, as I worked my way higher and east-ish. And regarding your remark that I inflated the balloon to fly back down, I guess you're suggesting I'm full of hot air? ;)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 14th, 2017, 9:51 am

Chip Down wrote: Bosterson: You may have misinterpreted my intent on that other pic. I wasn't trying to identify the Regulation of Antithesis arch, I was trying to identify where I ended up after that, as I worked my way higher and east-ish.

I didn't think you were; I don't recall being able to see the arch from down in that gully when we went up it (but this was a few years ago, though now I vaguely recollect that you are practically under the thing and can see it from up near the little 12 ft chimney back to the trail), so I guessed maybe you were higher up on the hillside to the east. But that hillside is even further west than the arrow in the other pic, let alone the question mark (which is one of my favorite places over there). Presumably you kept going up the Rickets or Atherosclerosis ridge.
And regarding your remark that I inflated the balloon to fly back down, I guess you're suggesting I'm full of hot air? ;)
I wasn't, but that's a good idea! :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 14th, 2017, 1:40 pm

What a fun discussion! I'm going to post a real TR later. From the top of the "little 12' chimney back to the trail" I was shocked...I didn't know the trail was right there, and didn't expect that the top of the chimney forms a saddle. Yes, from there I continued up the Romano or Asiago ridge, to Satan's Spine, then off route to explore. Details in TR to follow. I want to hear more about Bosterson's favorite spot!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 6th, 2017, 5:47 am

Okay Bosterson (or anybody else), see if you can ID the snowy spine sticking above the forested ridge. And yeah, I kinda staged the pic; the balloon was actually on the ground about 20' away. Found this yesterday, and it was one of many fun finds of man-made stuff.
Attachments
20170305_104432.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2017, 6:09 am

to go along with the dog poo sacks?