2017 solar eclipse

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
pdxgene

2017 solar eclipse

Post by pdxgene » March 5th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Well for now this is just idle chatter but it'll get more serious eventually..
http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/oregon/

Pick your spots before all those pesky tourists start invading... :lol:

adamschneider

Re: 2017 solar eclipse

Post by adamschneider » March 5th, 2016, 10:55 pm

And you thought Jefferson Park was crowded on a NORMAL day in August. :D

Some of the high points along French Creek Road (northwest of Detroit) might be excellent spots; very close to the middle of the totality stripe and not too difficult to reach, but somewhat off the beaten path.

The best map, straight from NASA: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/S ... oogle.html

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2016, 6:22 am

maybe east of Cascades would be more likely to be clear? look at weather reports immediately before to plan

You want an elevated place so you can see the surrounding area. East and West to horizon. South side of Jefferson would be pretty good. A local peak East of Cascades might be better.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 6th, 2016, 6:29 am

The Painted Hills are dead center almost. The changing light could be pretty cool?

Rather B Hiking

2017 solar eclipse

Post by Rather B Hiking » March 17th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Maybe the eclipse was a factor in the timetable for the permit system?

The 1979 eclipse was in February, and the weather report west of the Cascades did not look promising. We decided to spend the night before around The Dalles, so we could check the weather early in the morning and make a run for the best spot. As I recall it was gray pretty much everywhere, but somewhat less so to the east, so we started out in that direction. About the time the eclipse started, I noticed a big patch of blue sky to the west. We turned around and drove west as fast as that old van could go. We managed to get in the clear before the start of totality. It was amazing! I can "totally" understand why people chase total eclipses all over the planet.

The weather should be better for 2017.

drm

Post by drm » April 25th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Looks like it might be time next year to revisit the Wind River Range in Wyoming for the first time in years as the zone of totality passes over the northern part of the range.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 2nd, 2016, 6:07 am

I'm definitely thinking the painted hills is not on my list. Too many people have talked about going there.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

drm

Post by drm » May 4th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I did the first section of the TKR a few years back, to the Old Baily Cabin site, before they had pushed it all the way through. Of course the area has a unique botany if that is of interest to you.

You can see my trip report here.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 7th, 2016, 4:54 pm

By the way, if anyone was thinking about staying over at some obscure place that most people wouldn't think of and that usually doesn't take reservations further out than the current year ... like say Olallie Lake.... forget it. They're booked. Brokers are going around gobbling up everything they can get their paws on. I might be able to have them squeeze me in somewhere but unless you have connections somewhere, even a year+ out, it's too late.

Charley

Post by Charley » June 8th, 2016, 9:10 am

Judging from a quick examination of the maps, it looks like there will be many, many treeless mountaintops in the Blue Moutnains (Ochocos, Strawberries, Elkhorns, etc.) that should provide views of the eclipse. Given the remoteness and physical challenges of reaching these mountaintops, I bet that you'd get at least a bit of solitude!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.