South Falls tree removal

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
pdxgene

South Falls tree removal

Post by pdxgene » January 27th, 2016, 3:00 pm

BurnsideBob

Re: South Falls tree removal

Post by BurnsideBob » January 27th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Thanks for sharing!!

That is one gutsy sawyer. There was a risk, when he cut the second trunk, that the root wad could flip back into its original position, catapulting the sawyer into the brush.

I'm glad to see Silver Falls SP dealt with the trees--they did not add to the aesthetics and the trail-behind-the-falls couldn't open until they were gone.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » January 28th, 2016, 9:58 am

I'm no arborist but it seems like that job would have been safer to perform with some det cord around the trunk and a remote trigger. You certainly wouldn't see me volunteer for that chainsaw job.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » January 28th, 2016, 2:20 pm

I was just there Saturday. Glad I got to see the tree before it was...destroyed. :)

Edit: I somehow missed this comment:
BurnsideBob wrote:I'm glad to see Silver Falls SP dealt with the trees--they did not add to the aesthetics and the trail-behind-the-falls couldn't open until they were gone.
I do understand the issue with the trail behind the falls, but beg to differ on the aesthetics. Trees, logs, and rocks enhance the wildness of a falls, IMHO. If I want to see a smooth, symmetrical, sculpted falls, there are plenty of fountains in the city. ;)

Guy

Post by Guy » January 28th, 2016, 3:05 pm

texasbb wrote:I was just there Saturday. Glad I got to see the tree before it was...destroyed. :)

Edit: I somehow missed this comment:
BurnsideBob wrote:I'm glad to see Silver Falls SP dealt with the trees--they did not add to the aesthetics and the trail-behind-the-falls couldn't open until they were gone.
I do understand the issue with the trail behind the falls, but beg to differ on the aesthetics. Trees, logs, and rocks enhance the wildness of a falls, IMHO. If I want to see a smooth, symmetrical, sculpted falls, there are plenty of fountains in the city. ;)
I'm with Bob on this one! Glad they are gone & also wish I could have seen them fall!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 28th, 2016, 3:22 pm

I agree with TBB - trees in falls add to aesthetic, city fountains have no trees if that's what you want :)

But, if someone wants to remove a tree, whatever...

Or if you want to root for a flood to wash it away :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 28th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I don't think that aesthetics were what the Oregon Park Service was concerned about. If there was a problem with the safety of hikers in the vicinity while the trees were in that position, that trumps every other card in the deck. I agree that the sawyer was pretty courageous, but I would hope the trees were inspected exhaustively before the saw was ever engaged.

FallsGuyB

Post by FallsGuyB » January 29th, 2016, 10:07 am

Tell that Sawyer about the logjam on Oneonta

BigBear

Post by BigBear » February 2nd, 2016, 12:43 pm

Nice video. I certainly appreciate seeing how they cleared the trees, and of course the big splash.

Guy

Post by Guy » February 2nd, 2016, 5:57 pm

FallsGuyB wrote:Tell that Sawyer about the logjam on Oneonta
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors