Consecutive Days Without Rain

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
retired jerry

Re: Consecutive Days Without Rain

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2018, 8:08 pm

I agree.

I am only "rooting for a new record" because that will make it more obvious there's a problem.

When there are more hot days, the forest will become drier and burn more often. That plot shows it good.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 14th, 2018, 6:58 pm

I generally don't care how hot it gets, except I mourn the snowmelt that turns my fun scenic snow routes into crumbly dangerous slogs. :cry:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2018, 6:44 pm

retired jerry wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm
Okay, I'm giving up on rooting for a new record for consecutive days without rain.

0.01 inch today so 2018 is out of the running

I'm switching to number of days 90 F or greater

pdxtemp2.jpg

The record is 29 in 2015, we're at 26, we'll blast through the old record within a week.

Before 2015 the record was 24 in 2009. We seem to be breaking this record every few years. Global warming is my friend.
Last I heard, we were tied for the record of 90 degree days. I suspect we'll break through, if we haven't already.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 28th, 2018, 6:38 am

we broke the record, this is much more fulfilling than rooting for record consecutive days without rain

Not that I like it's getting hotter, more like it's becoming more obvious so maybe we'll take it more seriously.

I like when the snow melts off earlier. Acknowledging some cross country routes in particular are easier with snow on the ground. Like the route from Illumination ridge to Yocum ridge :)

As the globe gets warmer, there's more evaporation, and thus more precipitation, so the snow will not necessarily melt off sooner in the future.