Anyone ever hiked in Idaho?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Granola22

Re: Anyone ever hiked in Idaho?

Post by Granola22 » February 1st, 2016, 12:11 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies so far!
They're GREATLY appreciated :)
Any trail books you'd recommend?
I'm super excited to see the Larches in fall now! I thought I was gonna have to drive all the way back over into Leavenworth for those ha
I've been researching areas on my to-do list still within reasonable driving range for me (less than 6 hours)
Leavenworth is a straight shot highway away at still less than 4 hours, The Wallowas are 5, Glacier national park is 5, Banff national park in Canada is 6..
Unfortunately Sawtooth is an 8 hour drive and that one has all the highest Idaho peaks darn it! Yellowstone is 7

I'm wondering if there's anyplace around worthwhile for wildflowers (like Dog Mountain, WA) Hoping so!

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 1st, 2016, 1:26 pm

This area is great, but I honestly wouldn't be too worried about lack of accessible and amazing things to see/do where you're going. From the short list of times/distances you listed, I can't believe how central you will be to some world class scenery.

I'm actually jealous! Can I come? :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Granola22

Post by Granola22 » February 2nd, 2016, 8:47 am

miah66 wrote:This area is great, but I honestly wouldn't be too worried about lack of accessible and amazing things to see/do where you're going. From the short list of times/distances you listed, I can't believe how central you will be to some world class scenery.

I'm actually jealous! Can I come? :lol:

Ha! You do whatever you want ! It's your life. So far, we're having a really hard time finding a nice updated but not cookie-cutter style housing. There are some houses to rent on the lakes! They always fool you by making the outside look nice but not updating the inside. Unless 50's style green carpet, wallpaper, and wood paneling is your style..

Here's an example: 3 bedroom A-frame with a 2 car garage and shed in the woods, only $875!
https://spokane.craigslist.org/apa/5411840745.html

Yea, there's some good hikes after a long drive, but I will miss having something like Tom, Dick, and Harry sunsets to enjoy after a days work or just moss covered greenery. It's the hikes I can do within an hour drive I will be mostly interested in first and foremost which is what Portland's good for

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 2nd, 2016, 9:14 am

Bonus: No traffic!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 2nd, 2016, 9:40 am

Granola22 wrote:...Any trail books you'd recommend? ...
I started going to Spokane and N. Idaho on business in '98 and bought this book. It's likely been updated since, but it was perfect for what I needed at the time. The cover photo is what got me, Chimney Rock, and that was the first hike I did:

Most of the hikes are close to Coeur d' Alene:

I'm sure there are plenty of other books, too, and Spokane has an REI what should have everything you'll need.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 2nd, 2016, 10:06 am

I have had great success with Doug Lorain's books and it looks like he has one for Backpacking Idaho.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

drm

Post by drm » February 4th, 2016, 6:14 am

My gosh, Idaho has vast stretches of designated wilderness, a lot more than Washington or Oregon. It ranks fourth in the US by area. It is a lot drier with a lot of fires. At one point the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness was the largest in the lower 49, but was then passed by Death Valley.

And the mountains in the far north are much wetter, for some variety.

Granola22

Post by Granola22 » February 4th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I just bought them both and can't wait to check them out!
The Inlands Northwest has made a 2nd edition only (that I know of, updated in 2003)

drm wrote:My gosh, Idaho has vast stretches of designated wilderness, a lot more than Washington or Oregon. It ranks fourth in the US by area. It is a lot drier with a lot of fires. At one point the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness was the largest in the lower 49, but was then passed by Death Valley.

And the mountains in the far north are much wetter, for some variety.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to add that to my list when I get these new hiking books :)

Hardest part right now is deciding if we want a lawn for the dogs to run in all year round... or a lake they can swim in basically one season of the year
Decisions decisions.. this place looks tempting

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 4th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Oh, this thread makes me want to go hike in Idaho! It looks so gorgeous!

Granola22

Post by Granola22 » February 5th, 2016, 8:52 am

justpeachy wrote:Oh, this thread makes me want to go hike in Idaho! It looks so gorgeous!

Come out on a hike then this Summer! We will have an extra room available to stay in if needed :)