Airway Beacons

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
RobFromRedland

Airway Beacons

Post by RobFromRedland » April 8th, 2015, 6:28 am

I can't remember if this has been discussed before, but I saw something on facebook this morning about these - they were big concrete arrows directing planes way back in the 1920's - I remember seeing something about them before, but this morning I looked up this list:

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/air ... stern-u-s/

This list shows where there are still (supposedly) arrows that exist. There are quite a few in Oregon - many in the gorge.

Here is a page that talks more about these arrows:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/11/1 ... s-america/

Has anyone tried to find any of these arrows?

Would be an interesting discovery.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Fishinandgold

Re: Airway Beacons

Post by Fishinandgold » April 8th, 2015, 9:20 am

Sounds like a pretty cool mission! I wanna find some.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » April 8th, 2015, 3:26 pm

I had some faint memory of this being discussion here before. Struggled with the search function for a bit and turned up this old thread: Link

Stuff like this is very cool. Trying to find a few of these arrows would be a fun scavenger hunt through the gorge.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » April 8th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Another previous thread...........Link
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 9th, 2015, 4:07 am

I thought it had been discussed before. I should have searched before posting. Thanks for pointing me to the old postings.

Too bad there aren't more of the arrows left. That is a neat piece of history.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 9th, 2015, 7:07 am

Where are you seeing that there are a number in the gorge? I've combed through a lot of sat imagery over the years and haven't seen them, at least not between Troutdale and Eagle Creek...

Like the others said there are a few old posts about them, if you want a couple maps I believe the links below should work. They weren't all arrows, some of them were basically aerial lighthouses..

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... ub8VmUctAA

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-a0KP ... edit?pli=1

I believe there are really only a couple still around in Oregon, most have been removed/destroyed. I have yet to see any in the countless hours of sat imagery review I've done throughout the gorge from Troutdale to Eagle Creek. I guess there's a possibility some of them are just overgrown, but I doubt they're there anymore

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 9th, 2015, 3:18 pm

In my excitement over seeing this again, I think I mis-interpreted the database info. It shows where they USED to be, and there are quite a few locations in the gorge. But I did look at several google aerial photos and found nothing. Based on the prior discussions, I think there is only one left in Oregon, way out east somewhere.

It would be cool to find and explore a bit - quite a neat bit of history.

Edit: I used one the links you posted and found the one in Oregon - that is a neat map!

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... 2&z=20&t=h

You can see it in this view. It looks like the arrow is not far off of 84.

beag

Post by beag » April 11th, 2015, 9:13 pm

I know there was a beacon on the Cape Horn hiking trail above railroad tunnel. The 4angleirons for the supports are still visible. The top floor with a man -way door was in a little canyon just east of where the tower was. It dissapeared a few years ago. I guess some vandals must have tossed it into the Columbia.I also found copper wire at two different locations. I coiled some of it near the tower. Also there was wire at the base of the Falls. There's also a series of old switch backs which I'm sure were part of the trail used by the mechanics to service the Beacon.

When checking one of the links surveymarks.planetzhanna.com. The following was listed. RD2207 Cape Horn AUX. AWY BC2