Quartz Creek Trail

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
drm

Quartz Creek Trail

Post by drm » June 27th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Just thought I'd give an update on this - did a weekend maintenance thing with Washington Trails Assoc this last weekend.

Quartz Creek drops from the Dark Divide (which runs from Mts Adams to St Helens) down and joins the Lewis River about five miles above Lower Falls. Along with Quartz Creek Ridge, it could in theory make a great backpacking loop of about 25 miles. It is in theory because the trail was essentially abandoned and has hundreds of logs across it. I've heard that there is some serious old growth up there and some of these trees are 18 feet in diameter. The Quartz Creek Trail is a continuation of the Lewis River Trail, which merges with it near the confluence of the two.

There is a big push to rescue the trail this year. Washington Trail Assoc has three trips planned, and the Forest Service is going to send a team to handle the largest logs. This trip was a weekend campout at the Lewis River Horse Camp. We only worked on the first two miles, up to Straight Creek. Mostly it was tread and brush work, though we did clear a modest logs. The other two WTA trips are BCRTs (4-day backpacks).

So the first two miles are now nearly immaculate in my opinion (experienced trail workers are much pickier than I), and the terrain is absolutely gorgeous. It is a steep up and down trail, not nearly flat. But if you're up in the Lewis River area, I strongly suggest that you check this out. I'll probably go back later this summer and see how far up they got. They do not expect to clear it all the way to the Dark Divide this year.

Jane

Re: Quartz Creek Trail

Post by Jane » July 2nd, 2011, 8:48 am

Thanks for your volunteering Dean! it looks like the other two (back country response experience) outings are Aug 12-15, and Sept. 9-12,
info and sign up here: http://www.wta.org/volunteer/trail-work-parties

Ryan Ojerio

Re: Quartz Creek Trail

Post by Ryan Ojerio » August 17th, 2011, 9:16 am

Our BCRT crew was in there again this past weekend and worked a section between Straight Creek and Snagtooth Creek. The Forest Service Sawyers got in there a ahead of us and bucked out downed trees across the trail for the first 1.5 miles past Straight Creek. They plan to get in there again and push as far as they can go. But it sounds to me like this is going to be a multi-year effort.

I'm leading our next Backcountry Response Team Trip (BCRT) and we could use a couple more folks on the crew. Sign up at: http://www.wta.org/volunteer/bcrt
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657