Eagle Creek Trail Cleanup/Tish Creek Bridge Feb 21-24 2017

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
squidvicious

Re: Eagle Creek Trail Cleanup/Tish Creek Bridge Feb 21-24 20

Post by squidvicious » February 28th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I'm really excited for this and wondering how long until it's reasonable to brave going out for a look, but also feeling pretty dumb! I have literally had these two questions in my head all afternoon: today was the last day to work on the bridge, I wonder what happened?; and wtf was *that*? (in regard to enormous helicopters breezing by me at seeming-eye-level).

Derp, never managed to make the connection! Thanks for the update and setting me straight.

rcPDX

Post by rcPDX » February 28th, 2017, 6:32 pm

We put in 4 days of trail work to make the trail passable, so that this bridge could be installed. It was really hard work! We cleared 18 logs. Left some logs that were still frozen in snow or too big for the small saw we brought. All of the logs left were easy to cross as of Friday.

18 volunteers were involved, donating over 320 hours of time. Some volunteered multiple days.

So glad we were able to do our part to get this bridge installed in time.

Stay tuned, there will be more work parties on this trail and others. We walked over a number of slides that are currently frozen and mixed in ice. And I bet there's more upstream of Tish Creek.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » February 28th, 2017, 7:09 pm

that is COOL, congrats!

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » February 28th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Outstanding work everyone! Thank you to all who participated...that was TOUGH work...the snow drifts were not fluffy. You are now heroes to tens of thousands who can enjoy the trail safely again! Truly an epic 4-day effort by all. Edan.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 1st, 2017, 6:37 am

trailupdater wrote:Outstanding work everyone! Thank you to all who participated...that was TOUGH work...the snow drifts were not fluffy. You are now heroes to tens of thousands who can enjoy the trail safely again! Truly an epic 4-day effort by all.
Hear, hear! Cheers to all! Just outstanding you not only got it done on time, but under these conditions!
    Banner worthy.
Many thanks...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » March 30th, 2017, 11:27 am

Thanks to the trail crew for all of your excellent work to clear the way for the new bridge! I went there yesterday to have a look, and there is evidence all along the trail of the logs that had to be cut, snow banks shoveled out, slides cleared, etc. to make this happen.

I went only to Blossom Creek, and found the trail very manageable to that point, if a bit muddy in places. The ford at Sorenson Creek is under water, but someone has placed a few sticks and rocks that provide a (mostly) dry crossing. Two would-be backpackers reported the complete blockage near Loowit Falls, and I suggested they might want to volunteer on a trail crew to help speed the restoration of access.

This is a perfect time to get out there. There are a million small seasonal waterfalls - I captured three in one crappy cell phone photo - and the mosses and lichens are at their peak. The view of the Metlako slide (from a safe spot on the former viewpoint trail) was impressive. I was amazed to see fresh footprints going from the hazard warning sign out onto what is left of the viewpoint!