Belding Trail, Tillamook Oregon

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Sitesurfer253

Belding Trail, Tillamook Oregon

Post by Sitesurfer253 » July 16th, 2016, 4:06 pm

My partner and I recently got very stuck and had to be towed out from Beaver Dam Slide road along Salmonberry road, on our way to the Belding trailhead, which is a trailhead to the old tillamook road road hike. It is incredibly washed out, and absolutely impossible for anything without 4wheel drive to handle.
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _trailhead

If someone could edit that page with a large warning, you might save someone else 2000 bucks.

retired jerry

Re: Belding Trail, Tillamook Oregon

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2016, 5:37 pm

That's too bad, I added something to the field guide, thanks.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 18th, 2016, 7:40 am

That is one scary road! I nearly got stuck down there a few years ago. The problem is that once you start down the thing and find out it is too steep for your vehicle, you can't back up if you only have two-wheel drive. Luckily, I made it out but just barely and at a cost of some nice dents in the underside of my Chevy Astro van's underside. It took me three tries with my foot to the floor bouncing over the rocks and bumps to have enough speed to make it around that first corner and keep going. I breathed quite the sigh of relief when I finally made it. I went back once but that time with my 4-wheel drive SUV - it was less exciting but still not easy.

It must be even worse now - my experience was 10 years ago. Sorry you got stuck and had to pay that ridiculously expensive tow bill.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Koda

Post by Koda » July 18th, 2016, 9:30 am

retired jerry wrote:That's too bad, I added something to the field guide, thanks.
As of July 2016, this road is really difficult for anything short of a 4WD vehicle, be careful.
Jerry, I agree with the OP this road is impossible without 4x4. I've done this road several times and I'd personally add "high clearance" 4x4 to that myself. The locals keep spray painting an ominous and explicit warning at the large boulder before the real descent begins, first time I saw that I was like "what am I getting myself into"... not a big deal in a 4x4 but I always wondered how much it would cost to tow out of there, really sorry to hear.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2