Oneonta Trail is Gone

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
trailupdater

Re: Oneonta Trail is Gone

Post by trailupdater » February 4th, 2016, 5:09 pm

You all are the best! Thank you for your time and talents even in the most inclement weather. Edan

arlohike

Post by arlohike » March 4th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Ron Goodwin wrote:Good job on getting those out. Root wads are never easy and hopefully a way can be made to get the trail open as people coming down from Franklin Ridge loop over from Multnomah Falls can get through easily. All the trails in the Gorge are getting used all year round.
Just to clarify, the area with the root wads just north of Triple Falls isn't much problem to get through. Just a few muddy steps down into the hole and then back up again. The washout south of Triple Falls is a more significant obstacle.

I hiked this area last weekend and noticed that the fallen trees had been cleared. Excellent!
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

arlohike

Post by arlohike » June 2nd, 2016, 6:40 pm

Does anyone have an update on the washout near the footbridge? I was thinking of doing a loop hike this weekend that would use that section. I passed through it a few times over the winter, but if it has gotten worse, I would reconsider.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » June 3rd, 2016, 5:58 pm

I have been through there twice this week doing a couple of different loops. Nothing has been done yet as far as any fixes either temporary or permanent. If you go slow and watch your step you can get through without any issues (I wouldn't bring kids though here though). Be interesting to know what the plan is to fix this might be since a log jam up stream has split the stream and routed part of it to where this wash out is.

On the plus side as I was coming down Oneonta from Franklin Ridge on Tuesday a couple of trail maintenance guys were coming up. They had cleared the trail of logs and overhanging Devils club. I got to be the first person to enjoy the freshly maintained trail.

On the minus side if you are counting on water at that small spring towards the top of Franklin Ridge you are probably out of luck. There wasn't enough water there to wet a bandana.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » June 23rd, 2016, 3:35 pm

I went back on June 5 and the washout was easier to pass through for two reasons: the taller side is now more like a staircase than a sheer wall, and the creek level is lower so it's easy to walk across the gap once you get down to the creek level.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 7th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Finally got back, just over a year later...
arlohike wrote:Just to clarify, the area with the root wads just north of Triple Falls isn't much problem to get through. Just a few muddy steps down into the hole and then back up again. The washout south of Triple Falls is a more significant obstacle.
Yep, the "root wads" area is perfectly passable now!

Even Vanna White breezes right through.

But there is a new limbo-log semi-blocking the first access to Triple Falls viewpoint...

Easier to take the downhill approach, if limbo's not your thing.
arlohike wrote:I went back on June 5 and the washout was easier to pass through for two reasons: the taller side is now more like a staircase than a sheer wall, and the creek level is lower so it's easy to walk across the gap once you get down to the creek level.
Even with all the recent rain, it was very doable last weekend. A little muddy on (uphill) exit, and you gotta watch sliding down on return, but far better than before!

Big thanks to whoever cut those awkward roots out of the way!

So ya gotta rinse your hands afterwards - no big deal. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...