Mark O. Hatfield Memorial Trail Project

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Grannyhiker

Re: Mark O. Hatfield Memorial Trail Project

Post by Grannyhiker » July 7th, 2012, 11:31 pm

Splintercat, you may run into a problem in that the USFS tries to avoid signs in wilderness areas. Certainly no big signs like that one. Minimal signs at trail junctions is about all they allow.

jaimito

Post by jaimito » July 8th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Tom leave the graphics up to me ok buddy, you just keep making those maps. :D

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 8th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Chase wrote:
Eric is 6'6" according to my official made-up info. I asked him how tall he was and he said he was taller than me. Therefore, he's 6'6".
Oh, so your 6' 5'' like Crusak then, cool dude!! :)

Nice work on that graphic Tom, the Hatter never looked creepier! ;)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 8th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:
Chase wrote:
Eric is 6'6" according to my official made-up info. I asked him how tall he was and he said he was taller than me. Therefore, he's 6'6".
Oh, so your 6' 5'' like Crusak then, cool dude!! :)

Nice work on that graphic Tom, the Hatter never looked creepier! ;)
A couple more and we'll have a full basketball team! :) I'll play center, with my bulk. :lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

potato

Post by potato » July 8th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Nice work on this, Tom and Chase.

I'm not particularly crazy about the idea of having to look at that guy's portrait at every trail junction, but you guys will probably be there looking at it more than I will anyway so it's your call :D
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 9th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Fair point, Rad... I guess I was thinking about the $$ that Senator Hatfield's likeness might bring to the trail from his vast network of politicos..!
Tom leave the graphics up to me ok buddy, you just keep making those maps.
Sucka! You're on..! :D

Chase

Post by Chase » July 10th, 2012, 9:09 am

Hannah's sign ideas:
This is a 5x10" rectangle:

And a square one, 5x5:

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 10th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Never having been an admirer of the late Senator (although I do appreciate his work on the Gorge Scenic Area), I would really be turned off by a trail labeled with pictures of him! Or any other politician, for that matter.

Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier, the Forest Service isn't going to let you put up signs like that in a wilderness area! You instead want to think in terms of the little metal markers used for the PCT and CDT which go on already existing signposts.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 10th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Same thing - never really an admirer of Hatfield - because he's too conservative - GH probably thinks he's too liberal :D

I think he was part of the system that harvested excessive amounts of timber, and then we ran out of harvestable timber so the economy tanked. And almost all the low elevation old growth is gone. And now we're worshipping him for creating the Hatfield Wilderness.

But he did lots of good things and over-harvesting of timber can't be blamed on just him.

Chase

Post by Chase » July 10th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:Never having been an admirer of the late Senator (although I do appreciate his work on the Gorge Scenic Area), I would really be turned off by a trail labeled with pictures of him! Or any other politician, for that matter.

Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier, the Forest Service isn't going to let you put up signs like that in a wilderness area! You instead want to think in terms of the little metal markers used for the PCT and CDT which go on already existing signposts.
Regarding the images of Hatfield on the signage, Splintercat has already addressed this issue. I think a few people responded that Splinty's Hatfield sign is a bit creepy, which is arguably true. ;)

Regarding your concern about the FS and signage. At no point did anyone say they were going to start putting up any signs. We're just tossing around ideas for logos and signs, which will happen eventually. If you are concerned that someone is going to put up signs illegally, call the CRGNSA at 503-308-1700 or Lisa Northrop at the FS 503-668-1700. Make sure you mention the Hatfield Trail in your call. :mrgreen:

Regarding your ideas for the size of the proposed signs, Splinty has already addressed that as well. The signs will be almost the same size as PCT, CDT, and AT signs, although probably more square-ish than diamond-ish. :roll:

Regarding your desire to not see politicians on these signs, out of curiosity, when's the last time you hiked the Hatfield Trail? :?: