Waldo Lake Wilderness: Unmaintained trails

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
bobcat

Waldo Lake Wilderness: Unmaintained trails

Post by bobcat » September 18th, 2017, 7:27 am

The Mt. Ray Trail #3682 is unmaintained from its junction with the South Waldo Trail #3586 northwest to the junction with the High Divide Trail #3572 in Black Meadows. Huckleberry bushes obscure the trail and the same downed trees have been across the trail for years.

The High Divide Trail is difficult to locate as it exits small meadows northeast of Black Meadows. The trail has been unmaintained for years and there are numerous trees down.

This is in contrast to the trails just south of the wilderness, including the Mt. Ray Trail, which are very well-maintained (probably by mountain biker groups).

kelkev

Re: Waldo Lake Wilderness: Unmaintained trails

Post by kelkev » September 18th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Funny that this popped up here Bobcat, I nearly hiked the High Divide trail last week while we were camped at Waldo Lake. I was on a day hike, searching for the mother lode of huckleberries....luckily I wandered into a huge patch between Klovdahl Bay and the junction with the High Divide trail and didn't do my original plan as you describe here. I had read that the tread was pretty sketchy, so I probably would have turned around anyway.....but hard to say, sometimes I'm stubborn.

Hopefully that trail sees some maintenance, it's gorgeous hiking country.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 19th, 2017, 7:07 am

Huckleberries were prime and bounteous along the South Waldo, Mt. Ray, and High Divide Trails. I gorged myself silly. Even watched a couple of fat, smiling black bears having a playful tussle in one of the meadows.

Cascadiahiking

Post by Cascadiahiking » October 10th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Thank you for the report! I've been looking for some more trail to logout so I'll add this to my list.

Were there any fairly large trees(say above waist high)?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 28th, 2017, 9:23 am

@Cascadiahiking:

Sorry for a late reply - I've been out of the country. If you mean trees more than three feet in diameter - no. Also, I rarely had to go off trail as most trees (8" to 24" I would say) could be stepped over or crawled under.

Many thanks for your efforts!