Trying to Post and losing it all

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
texasbb

Re: Trying to Post and losing it all

Post by texasbb » August 4th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Go Tux!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2015, 6:46 pm

I've contemplated getting a Linux computer - won't have to update frequently that then breaks things. I used to use Unix.

But too many software don't support it. Mostly I need a browser, Office (for which there is open source)

But then I use itunes occasionally, and the Garmin GPS software, etc. which probably wouldn't work on Linux. And I'd have to fuss with it all the time.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 4th, 2015, 8:36 pm

My MacBook Pro is 7 years old and still working just fine... it's nice that computers finally stopped doubling their speed every two years.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 5th, 2015, 6:06 am

Is that true? I thought computers were still doubling. People keep predicting this will end, but they keep coming up with new developments.

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 5th, 2015, 6:29 am

BurnsideBob wrote: When I'm writing a long trip report, I write in MS Word and paste into the text box of the BB.

There is a catch: italics, bold type, and white space management don't carry from MS Word to BB code. These must be added in the bulletin board window. You can use a "*" or "-" where you want a blank line--which is why some of my TR's have a lot of "*" in them.

And then you can save the MS word version--I usually do so in the folder containing the photos in the report.
For offline bbcode composition try using BBCEditor(links to direct download)

It gives you a wordpad-like text editor on one side with a preview frame on the other.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 5th, 2015, 6:44 am

retired jerry wrote:Is that true? I thought computers were still doubling. People keep predicting this will end, but they keep coming up with new developments.
lately the trend has been in development in phones, tablets and IoT devices with personal computers taking a backseat to those developments. But the speed technology will always improve... the problem with upgrading a computer to a newer OS such as Windows 10 is each time you upgrade you get one step behind in hardware technology and when app developers design around the new OS (which is why Microsoft is giving it away free) then your machine starts to run slower....

something like that.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 5th, 2015, 7:08 am

retired jerry wrote:Is that true? I thought computers were still doubling. People keep predicting this will end, but they keep coming up with new developments.
Transistor density is still increasing. Clock speed is a different story.
Koda wrote:Image
I switch one laptop to Ubuntu a few years ago. But there are still some things holding me back from a complete transition.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 5th, 2015, 8:24 am

kaltbluter wrote:I switch one laptop to Ubuntu a few years ago. But there are still some things holding me back from a complete transition.

Until Linux supports, or someone creates an open source or sells equivalent professional products (such as Creative Suite) that runs on Linux, Linux will never become mainstream and will always have that handicap for users of those programs. For me its Solidworks, a while back I did some freelance mechanical design work so I have to have a dual boot with Windows if I want to run that program.

That said, there are plenty of open source equivalent programs that baffles me why many people don’t take advantage of. E.g.: Some are willing to pay for (or take an illegal copy of) Photoshop but refuse to use Gimp which is free.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 5th, 2015, 8:50 am

looks to me like number of transisters was doubling every 2.6 years at the begining of your plot, 2.4 years at the end, it's actually accelerating :)

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 5th, 2015, 8:53 am

Koda wrote:For me its Solidworks...there are plenty of open source equivalent programs that baffles me why many people don’t take advantage of...Gimp which is free.
Heh, sometimes I use Solidworks to draw masks to use in Gimp.

I like Gimp. Lightzone is pretty neat. Add in a freeware panorama stitcher and exposure blending program and you have a pretty good match for the adobe products.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying Lightroom 5 and now I'm spoiled. And now I see that Lightroom 6 has built in exposure blending, pano stitching and this interesting looking haze tool. Sooner or later I'll probably get it too.