Embedded hillmap.com maps

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
adamschneider

Embedded hillmap.com maps

Post by adamschneider » July 14th, 2015, 3:36 pm

The other day, I asked if anyone had some GPS data for the area around Johnson Peak in Goat Rocks Wilderness, and Miah66 responded by posting a couple of "hillmap" maps in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22167

I'm glad I was able to get the GPS data, but those embedded frames cause my browser (Firefox on Mac) to come to a grinding halt for a while! (Same thing happens when I look at it on my phone.) My thread is up to multiple pages now, and I don't get the slowness on the second page, because the maps are on page 1... EXCEPT when I go to reply, because then the whole thread is recapped below the edit box, including the super-slow maps.

I don't know what the solution is... apparently hillmap.com's maps are loading a TON of processor-intensive JavaScript. For the record, I don't get the same lagginess when viewing threads that contain gpsfly.org maps.

I don't suppose a hack could go in somewhere so that it at least doesn't load <iframe>s when doing the recap on the "reply" page?

Martell

Re: Embedded hillmap.com maps

Post by Martell » July 14th, 2015, 3:51 pm

I wonder if there was a Hillmaps server having an issue causing a script to hang, because it seems to load fine for me in Chrome/Firefox/IE/iPhone. Is it any better for you now?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 14th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Still killing my phone. It's not a network issue; it's actually making my browser run slower. Scrolling up and down that page is sluggish, even when the map isn't visible!

Koda

Post by Koda » July 14th, 2015, 7:55 pm

the owner of Hillmap has always replied to my emails and looks for feedback on issues like this.

FWIW I dont normally use browser maps on my smartphone they all work too painfully slow. A laptop or workstation should work fine though, Hillmap is one of the simpler browser maps to use.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 14th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Koda wrote:A laptop or workstation should work fine though, Hillmap is one of the simpler browser maps to use.
I first noticed the sluggishness on my laptop. I wonder if there's some sort of exponential decrease in speed when there are two maps embedded in a single page.

Koda

Post by Koda » July 15th, 2015, 6:12 am

adamschneider wrote:
Koda wrote:A laptop or workstation should work fine though, Hillmap is one of the simpler browser maps to use.
I first noticed the sluggishness on my laptop. I wonder if there's some sort of exponential decrease in speed when there are two maps embedded in a single page.
that would make sense to me. I have an old laptop at home that is slow and browser maps bog it down noticeably. An issue with Hillmap embedded into a thread is it wants to be dynamic (move around) when your scrolling the thread and that doesnt help. Just curious how old is your laptop?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2