Directions hard to follow

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
binahickerson

Directions hard to follow

Post by binahickerson » October 23rd, 2011, 4:10 pm

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... lhead_Hike

Has anyone been able to successfully navigate the directions described on the above posted site???? My boyfriend and I attempted this today, got lost, tried several different trails, ran into another lost hiker, and finally gave up.

I've hiked Table Mountain from Bonneville before and found other people attempting to navigate from the Aldrich Butte "trailhead" that were also lost. This concerns me that so many people are trying to follow these directions unsuccessfully. If anyone has any clarifications that might help people not get lost they would be much appreciated!!

Born2BBrad

Re: Directions hard to follow

Post by Born2BBrad » October 23rd, 2011, 5:22 pm

I have always hiked Table Mountain from the turnout next to Greanleaf Slough. While I have never driven to the actual Aldridge Butte trailhead described on Portland Hikers, I have passed it many times as a hiker, and I have once driven on the power line roads leading to it. A couple of months ago I wanted to check out the power line roads in my truck and discovered a large pile of rocks blocking the entrance to those roads. You are correct that the myriad of trails and roads in that area can be confusing. The Dick Thomas trailhead at Bonneville Hot Springs is easy to find and the trail from there is easy to follow. As for clarifications on directions to the AB trailhead, you almost have to have someone show you which turns to make, as the directions on PH to the trailhead are technically correct. My first time I was lucky enough to follow someone else who knew where they were going. The map for the Table Mountain hike on PH is very accurate and helpful, as well.

Helen

Post by Helen » October 23rd, 2011, 5:46 pm

I've avoided this hike because I am afraid I will get lost. I will take Brad's advice and wait until I can go with someone who knows what trails to follow.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 23rd, 2011, 6:04 pm

binahickerson wrote:http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... lhead_Hike

Has anyone been able to successfully navigate the directions described on the above posted site???? My boyfriend and I attempted this today, got lost, tried several different trails, ran into another lost hiker, and finally gave up.

I've hiked Table Mountain from Bonneville before and found other people attempting to navigate from the Aldrich Butte "trailhead" that were also lost. This concerns me that so many people are trying to follow these directions unsuccessfully. If anyone has any clarifications that might help people not get lost they would be much appreciated!!
I took a look at the directions and I think there may have an error: "...There's a fork at the trailhead and you'll want the left side (that goes straight up and into the trees). " I think it should read "right, into the trees". This area has so many old roads, trails, grades, etc. that it can be difficult. I'd be glad to send along a map in PDF form but the best thing is to go with one of those familiar with it and I, and I'm sure many others on this forum, would be glad to help.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

geographics

Post by geographics » October 23rd, 2011, 7:29 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Appleton

Post by Appleton » October 23rd, 2011, 7:56 pm

Hey, I'm the lost hiker you met! I think I found the way but ran out of time to complete the hike since it was up up up up up. By where the cars were parked, it was the middle "road" that goes into the woods. We had been too far west. The middle road looks a little too narrow to be a road, but is wider than a normal path. DON'T take the right turn down into the woods about a 1/4 mile up. I took it and looped back to my car again. Keep going, and eventually there's a left. Take that, then veer right where it forks. You meet up with the PCT at a couple of camp sites. I got a little past those camp sites, then ran low on daylight. I saw a couple of deer, a couple of frogs, and a salamander, and got a good work out, so it wasn't all for nothing. Table won the battle today, but it did not win the war.

beag

Post by beag » October 23rd, 2011, 8:30 pm

Even Sullivans book has an error which I pointed out and he said he would revise it in the next edition.I think the best way is to drive into the Hotel, make a left and drive up uphill. Park close to the greenhouse but make sure there is space for workers.Dick Thomas trail is on the west end of the meadow. That trail will take you thru the woods in a Northerly direction. After 15 20 minutes you will hit a road. Make a right, and an immidiate left. Stay on that road ignoring path on right next to the dry lake and road that goes to the left which goes up to Aldrich Butte. The road goes uphill for about a mile to a T junction. Take a left on Pacific Crest Trail. Stay on PCT an after hiking for approx 15 minutes you will see the kiosk with a map for Table.
On your return remember to make the correct turn at the T and for the Dick Thomas trail.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » October 24th, 2011, 7:09 am

binahickerson wrote:http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... lhead_Hike

I'm surprise that you had problems. I've just reread the description and though it's been changed slightly from my original description, it's still accurate, unless something has changed there this summer.

At the trailhead, there are two roads. The left one head quickly into the trees and the right one follows the power lines eastward. Is there where you got lost?

Peder

Post by Peder » October 24th, 2011, 8:27 am

Stevefromdodge wrote:I've just reread the description and though it's been changed slightly from my original description, it's still accurate, unless something has changed there this summer.
Steve - I just checked the description and it is accurate. I was there twice this year. The stretch from the trailhead and up past Carpenters Lake can be very confusing, even with a map! So it is not surprising that many have trouble finding their way up to Table Mountain. I am sure that it would help if there were trail signs at the various junctions up past Carpenters Lake. Till the trail is signed, we just have to rely on our map reading skills.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 24th, 2011, 8:55 am

binahickerson - thanks for pointing this out even though people don't seem to be agreeing that there's an error

It's so difficult to make all the descriptions accurate, especially as things change

I've just parked near the resort because it's easier to find, just a little longer hiking distance, maybe less likely to have car broken into