Coyote Wall: Just don't go

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
WS Native

Coyote Wall: Just don't go

Post by WS Native » March 16th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Nobody likes to be inconsiderate, especially when we're appreciating the native landscape around us. I grew up in White Salmon, and was surprised to hear about a trail heading up Coyote Wall, because it wasn't there when I was young. I asked a friend of mine, who's house is essentially at the top of the cliff, what the deal was. Here's her response:

"People (non-locals - recreationalists/cyclists - cityfolk!) cut the trails without permission; it's on county and privately owned land. It cuts into natural deer trails that have been there for decades and makes it now impassible for the wildlife. Also it creates erosion problems along the cliffs with all the bicycle traffic. With the increased people-flow, there has been vandalism to property owners who live along the trail, and a lot of litter. It's been the debate of many a Snowden council for a few years!"

So, while it is certainly beautiful, just go somewhere else. Catherine Creek is still there! Or head over to Rowena. You don't need to go on private property or destroy the native habitat.

retired jerry

Re: Coyote Wall: Just don't go

Post by retired jerry » March 16th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Thanks for posting that

Do you think any of the hikes in the field guide are problems?

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Creek_Area

jessbee

Post by jessbee » March 16th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Good luck with that.

It's mostly cyclists, and I think there's a cycling group that maintains the trails. However, I agree, there are trails EVERYWHERE and it's a nightmare on weekends. Bikes, dogs, people, everywhere. I made the mistake of trying to hike there about a month ago and I will never go again. It was obnoxious. Actually, the only part I enjoyed was the part near private property because it wasn't so crowded. And the houses and big open fields are beautiful.

But seriously, it's mostly bikes, so try picking your battle there.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » March 17th, 2011, 12:01 pm

It was wrong for mountain bikers to cut trails without authorization from Forest Service or landowners, and it's certainly wrong to hike or bike across posted private land without permission. But I think it's important to correct something here. Most of the land in the Coyote Wall area is, in fact, Forest Service land. If you look at the map on p. 14 of the Forest Service EA for management of this area, the land ownership is pretty clear: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/ab ... 032325.pdf. There are 4700 acres of Forest Service land in the planning area, which consists of Burdoin, Coyote, and Catherine Creek units. Burdoin is about half private land, Coyote is about 1/4 private land (mostly in the north), and Catherine is almost all federal land. According to the EA, boundaries between federal and private land have been posted, though this has not stopped use of the "non-system" (i.e., illegal) trails that cross private land. Most of the non-system trails are on federal land, however.

I generally avoid hiking in areas favored by mountain bikers, so Coyote Wall is not a major destination for me. But people shouldn't have the idea that it's off limits because it's private. If folks want to hike there, they're free to do so, as long as they stay on public land.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.