Douglas Trail to Wildcat Mountain Hike

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
aiwetir

Douglas Trail to Wildcat Mountain Hike

Post by aiwetir » November 13th, 2015, 1:18 am

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... ntain_Hike

Was just up there on Tuesday and it took longer to get around than I thought because the FG page isn't quite right. I run 3 GPS units and since it's an out and back I got to check each distance 6 times :D

I will concede that I'm not 100% sure we "summited" but we got to a round opening in the woods that had rocks (some painted) that seemed like the summit and we didn't see a trail continuing past it, so the 400 ft. spur might be longer if someone has a better idea.

Currently
Distance: 3.4 miles round-trip
Should read
Distance: 5.0 miles round-trip

Currently
From here, the trail rambles at a moderate grade through handsome, often open forests, with rhododendron and beargrass blooms along the trail in early summer. You will pass a couple unmarked side trails along the way, but keep right to stay on the main trail. Soon, you will reach the junction with the McIntyre Ridge Trail at 1.1 miles. The meadows at the crest of McIntyre Ridge make for a nice destination on this hike that is worth visiting on your return trip (described below). For now, continue on the Douglas Trail for 0.4 miles to the short 0.2 mile spur to the top of Wildcat Mountain. The spur is not marked, so watch for it at the crest of the Douglas Trail -- if you're going downhill, you have missed the summit trail.

Should read
From here, the trail rambles at a moderate grade through handsome, often open forests, with rhododendron and beargrass blooms along the trail in early summer. You will pass a couple unmarked side trails along the way, but keep right to stay on the main trail. Soon, you will reach the junction with the McIntyre Ridge Trail at 1.9** miles. The meadows at the crest of McIntyre Ridge make for a nice destination on this hike that is worth visiting on your return trip (described below). For now, continue on the Douglas Trail for 0.6 miles to the short 400 ft. spur to the top of Wildcat Mountain. The spur is not marked, so watch for it at the crest of the Douglas Trail -- if you're going downhill, you have missed the summit trail.
**1.9 miles from the TH, but if we're talking from the initial 0.5 miles from the quarry, it's 1.4

I'm working on a replacement map, but that will have to happen another day. I've got it started though.

- Michael

bobcat

Re: Douglas Trail to Wildcat Mountain Hike

Post by bobcat » November 18th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Thanks, aiwetir. I've made the changes. Also, I revised the directions to the new trailhead recently based on another user's comments.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 18th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Oh, I have that map ready too.

Last edited by aiwetir on August 2nd, 2016, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 21st, 2015, 8:38 am

Thanks, aiwetir! I'll replace the old map with this one.