Triple Falls open again

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
perinaut

Triple Falls open again

Post by perinaut » April 17th, 2015, 8:59 am

Just attempted the Triple Falls/Horsetail Falls/Ponytail Falls loop yesterday and was happy to find that the trail is open once again. Once you hit the landslide, two paths diverge. The one on the left is lower and looks clearer, but is blocked by a small wall of rocks--for good reason! You can get through this way but it is definitely dicey.

The one on the right is steeper, more rock-covered and looks less clear, but is the correct path. I'm not sure if it's completely finished--it's still a bit wobbly but nothing the average person can't handle.

Don't have any photos as I didn't have a camera.

niebby

Re: Triple Falls open again

Post by niebby » April 20th, 2015, 10:18 pm

I hiked the loop today. The rocks on the trail to triple falls are pretty stable. Honestly, more difficult getting down than climbing up.
I'm looking for any information on going well past the triple falls though. I went a few miles up beyong it, but turned around since I wasn't sure where there would be an end or a loop that I could get to before dark.

It's such a beautiful area, I'd like to try again. Anyone know?

lichenhikin

Post by lichenhikin » April 26th, 2015, 1:45 pm

niebby wrote: I'm looking for any information on going well past the triple falls though. I went a few miles up beyong it, but turned around since I wasn't sure where there would be an end or a loop that I could get to before dark.

If you keep going past Triple Falls, there's a junction with the Franklin Ridge Trail to the west and Horsetail Creek to the east. If you follow Franklin Ridge, you can get on the Larch Mountain trail and head down at Multnomah Falls. Then you'd have to follow the highway back to Oneonta for a few miles, or two-car it. I wanted to do this last spring, but since the Benson Bridge was out I turned around at the Larch Mountain junction. Not sure if it was due to the bridge outage, but Franklin Ridge was deserted on an otherwise busy Gorge weekend.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 26th, 2015, 3:02 pm

niebby wrote:I hiked the loop today. The rocks on the trail to triple falls are pretty stable. Honestly, more difficult getting down than climbing up.
I'm looking for any information on going well past the triple falls though. I went a few miles up beyong it, but turned around since I wasn't sure where there would be an end or a loop that I could get to before dark.

Did you have any thoughts on where you wanted to go, or what sort of distance you'd consider? Most of the options beyond Triple Falls quickly become rather long.

I'll second the previous suggestion of heading up Franklin Ridge, then towards Larch. That's a wonderful option, that I once stretched out to 26 miles (also when the Bensen Bridge was closed). To do that, cross the (second) footbridge a mile-plus above TF, and keep going up the other side.

Yesterday, we kept on the same side of the creek, not crossing the bridge, and went up Horsetail Creek trail. We followed this all the way to Nesmith Point, then came down the traditional way from there. It was 17 miles, and required a car shuttle. But "sublime" doesn't capture the glory of being alone up there on a day like yesterday! Just outstanding.
Another fine option is the Bell Creek lollipop. Same start, up Oneonta, don't cross second footbridge, then turn right onto Bell Creek trail once you attain the plateau. This winds through marvelous cedar and fir old growth, and ends up returning you down Franklin Ridge to Oneonta Creek for one more time again past Triple Falls. Again, about 17 miles. Here's an image where I combined shots on the way up and way back down, same hike...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...