Falls Creek Falls--needs update

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
jdemott

Falls Creek Falls--needs update

Post by jdemott » October 19th, 2012, 8:42 am

Yesterday I hiked to Falls Creek Falls, a very pleasant hike that for some reason I had never done before. The Field Guide directions need some updating, largely because the Forest Service has de-commissioned one of the two possible trailheads for the loop hike. There are two trails used in the loop hike--Trail 152A, the lower trail near the creek; and Trail 152, the upper trail higher up the side of the canyon. The trailhead that directly accessed Trail 152 (the trailhead on which the Field Guide directions are based) is now de-commissioned and the road approach to that trailhead appears to be permanently closed with an earthen barrier.

Here are changes needed to correct the Field Guide:

In the last sentence of the driving directions to Falls Creek Falls Lower Trailhead, change "fork left" to "fork right." Note that the designation of the Lower Trailhead is correct--the previous description apparently erroneously named the upper trailhead as the lower. Note also that links to the upper trailhead as found in the trail log are wrong--they currently direct to the Fall Creek trailhead in the Three Sisters area. It might be worth noting that Road 3062 is a well maintained gravel road suitable for passenger cars.

In the hike description, the second sentence should read "About 100 yards from the trailhead, bear right at the junction marked for Falls Creek Falls; the left hand trail marked for the horse camp will be your return route on the loop." In the third and fifth sentences, change "mile" to "half-mile." (Four-tenths mile might be more accurate but half mile seems close enough.)

Change the last sentence of the description to read "After exploring the top of the falls, return via the upper trail (Tr. 152). Continue on Trail 152 past the upper junction of the connector trail a further 1.7 miles, enjoying a gradual descent through woods, to a footbridge. Cross the bridge and bear left. The parking lot is an easy six-tenths of a mile walk along the creek."

There are also some changes needed to the trail log. I'd be happy to try to help with those if one of the editors wants to contact me.

bobcat

Re: Falls Creek Falls--needs update

Post by bobcat » October 30th, 2012, 7:58 am

John,

I'll get on this soon if someone else hasn't. Thanks for the heads up - I haven't been there for a few years, so will trust your specifics.