Knee Pain & Swelling- Lateral Collateral Ligament Tear

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
NW Yeti

Knee Pain & Swelling- Lateral Collateral Ligament Tear

Post by NW Yeti » July 16th, 2015, 4:47 pm

On returning home today from a 6 day hiking trip in the Alpine Wilderness of Washington, I noticed a golf ball swelling on the outside of my left knee. Is this common from over exertion? Yesterday, my friend and I ascended a 6,000 foot mountain with a 2,000 foot elevation gain, on the Trout Lake Trail, to get to a viewpoint to take photos of the surrounding peaks. Descending, my knees, calves and feet tendons were pretty sore and in my tent last night, I was stiffer than a 2x4. Have you experienced this and what treatment should I apply to my knee? Thanks!
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

kelkev

Re: Knee Pain & Swelling- Lateral Collateral Ligament Tear

Post by kelkev » July 16th, 2015, 5:21 pm

The outside of my left knee flares up on long and steep descents - - I have no idea what the problem is, but sometimes it really hurts and stiffens up, during and after the hike out. The pain usually continues for a couple of days before subsiding. I'm guessing it's some kind of ligament issue, but whatever the case, I feel your pain!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 16th, 2015, 6:45 pm

I tore my anterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral and all the cartilage in my right knee when I was younger and was completely unable to walk due to the ligament tears. My guess would be torn cartilage. Best thing you can do (regardless of what it is) is icing 20 mins on, 20 off, nsaids and rest it.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 16th, 2015, 6:47 pm

NW Yeti wrote:On returning home today from a 6 day hiking trip in the Alpine Wilderness of Washington, I noticed a golf ball swelling on the outside of my left knee. Is this common from over exertion?
See if this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome - sounds like it. First hit me after my first time coming down Defiance. The next week, I had almost no strength in the knee as I came down Nick Eaton. Seems that stretching is the answer, both for recovery and prevention, if that's it. Only reason I question is, I didn't have the associated swelling. Just the PAIN!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » July 16th, 2015, 7:06 pm

:D You just nailed it Karl! Thank you, thank you! Well, what first must have triggered it/ injured it: on Saturday, my friend and I backpacked up to Indian Race Track and my pack was too heavy (40 lbs)(my first backpack). I felt it on the descent. Then, because the Wallowas had thunder/lightning storms until Wednesday, we headed to the Alpine Wilderness just outside of Leavenworth for five days of hiking. Last night, after a 8 mile, 2,000 foot hike, my groin (both sides of pelvic bone) all the way down to my knees began to ache and tighten up. Now the day after, I'm still in pain. Thank you big time for the help!

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » July 16th, 2015, 7:09 pm

:) Thank you sprengers4jc. Will start the icing!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 17th, 2015, 5:13 am

Well, the good news if it the IT band, is that it's not too serious and can be overcome. Maybe, if insurance covers it, see if you can get a referral for physical therapy? They can teach you the stretches to feel better, and then help avoid recurrence. Good luck! "Been there."
Karl

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 17th, 2015, 9:30 am

The IT band can be very difficult as any quick Google search can show you. There is 1 study suggesting that stretching the IT band is useless as it's usually adhered to everything around it. It also happens to be difficult to stretch too.

I usually go for massaging the muscular portions that attach to it. It's a good possibility that one of them is knotted up or tight and pulling the IT band out of place causing friction and pain.

My IT band usually hurts for about 10 minutes after about 20 minutes of downhill then starts to loosen up after than.

So go for a comprehensive stretching/massage plan.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 17th, 2015, 9:55 am

aiwetir wrote:The IT band can be very difficult as any quick Google search can show you. There is 1 study suggesting that stretching the IT band is useless as it's usually adhered to everything around it. It also happens to be difficult to stretch too.

I usually go for massaging the muscular portions that attach to it. It's a good possibility that one of them is knotted up or tight and pulling the IT band out of place causing friction and pain.

My IT band usually hurts for about 10 minutes after about 20 minutes of downhill then starts to loosen up after than.

So go for a comprehensive stretching/massage plan.
Agreed! I never did figure out the stretch(es) that worked directly on the IT band, but the other ones that worked hamstring, calf, and other muscles, seemed to allow them to offer more support and take some of the strain off the IT band. Or something like that. (I'm really poor at "medical stuff," hence the urging towards PT.)
Karl

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » July 19th, 2015, 8:13 am

You didn't specify if you used trekking poles or not. If you aren't you might consider picking some up. They do wonders for your knees on the down hills.

You might also consider picking up of highly cushioned shoes. I switched to 'Hokas' (http://www.rei.com/product/873195/hoka- ... shoes-mens) in April of this year and they really help absorb the shock on the down hills. Probably not good for 40 pound loads and they are not the best for serious off-trail. I guess Hoka has come out with a hiking boot and shoe. I am tempted to go against my standard rule of never buying 'version one' of anything and maybe giving their hiking shoe a try.