Safety Check-in

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
kepPNW

Re: Safety Check-in

Post by kepPNW » July 16th, 2015, 6:20 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:
forester wrote:I've looked into the PLBs and decided against them, mostly due to cost. Part, however, is due to mindset. I kind of like not having one because I think it makes me smarter and safer when I'm out, as I don't have as much backup.
Interesting perspective. My PLB only cost me $150 and there are no other charges associated with itn but more importantly, having a PLB doesnt make people do rash things thinking they have backup.
I'm not sure about that. Studies show people drive far more recklessly, now that cars are safer. Human nature.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 16th, 2015, 7:00 pm

kepPNW wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:
forester wrote:I've looked into the PLBs and decided against them, mostly due to cost. Part, however, is due to mindset. I kind of like not having one because I think it makes me smarter and safer when I'm out, as I don't have as much backup.
Interesting perspective. My PLB only cost me $150 and there are no other charges associated with itn but more importantly, having a PLB doesnt make people do rash things thinking they have backup.
I'm not sure about that. Studies show people drive far more recklessly, now that cars are safer. Human nature.
There will always be a segment of the population who are reckless regardless. I drive fast(er) because there's not enough time in the day and I have places to be. Maybe that's why others drive fast, too. I can't"t speak for them but I harbor no illusions that the safety rating of my car will keep me safe in an accident anymore than a PLB gives me a false sense of security about my safety in the wilderness. Like anything, it's a tool for a worst-case scenario.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 17th, 2015, 12:03 am

kepPNW wrote:I'm not sure about that. Studies show people drive far more recklessly, now that cars are safer. Human nature.
I think they might have a causation issue here. I think people drive faster because people.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 17th, 2015, 5:07 am

aiwetir wrote:
kepPNW wrote:I'm not sure about that. Studies show people drive far more recklessly, now that cars are safer. Human nature.
I think they might have a causation issue here. I think people drive faster because people.
It can be a difficult link to establish, but it's there. People simply engage in riskier behavior when they feel safer. Because, as you say, people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 075637.htm

http://regressing.deadspin.com/do-safer ... 1526003215
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2015, 5:09 am

or football helmets make players take bigger hits

This doesn't necessarily apply to an individual, but studies say it's so for a population

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 17th, 2015, 5:16 am

retired jerry wrote:or football helmets make players take bigger hits
Another great example!
retired jerry wrote:This doesn't necessarily apply to an individual, but studies say it's so for a population
Probably the single most misunderstood element of stats, yep.
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2015, 5:21 am

although sometimes people fool themselves, only think they won't drive faster if they have seatbelts or whatever :)

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 17th, 2015, 5:50 am

kepPNW wrote:
retired jerry wrote:This doesn't necessarily apply to an individual, but studies say it's so for a population
Probably the single most misunderstood element of stats, yep.
I'd agree wholeheartedly if you'd drop the "Probably." :) It's hard any more to find an American who understands the difference between a statistical truth and an individual one. Almost unheard of among journalists. Sadly uncommon even among doctors and other professionals.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 17th, 2015, 9:25 am

While out riding my bike and debating when and where to pull out on a busy road, a friend said to me "If there's doubt, there's no doubt." This is my new mantra when I consider doing something in the back country. The other easier one to remember is "If you have to ask..."
- Michael

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2015, 9:32 am

but sometimes something appears to be risky, but if you start doing it, it becomes straightforward

if you're too risk averse, you'll miss some interesting things