Getting old and hiking

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Roy

Re: Getting old and hiking

Post by Roy » November 7th, 2012, 10:14 pm

mayhem wrote:So far I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I was more broken down & busted up as a teenager. I have been through the longest spell every... well in 25 years not needing an emergency room or urgent care visit for my back or anything else. I guess I just jinxed that. Serious though this is the best I have felt in over 25 years :)
Yea with that gray hair you look older than me :lol: Maybe a little more gray hair would have helped me out ;)

Seriously impressive stuff you do.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 9th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Roy wrote:
mayhem wrote:So far I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I was more broken down & busted up as a teenager. I have been through the longest spell every... well in 25 years not needing an emergency room or urgent care visit for my back or anything else. I guess I just jinxed that. Serious though this is the best I have felt in over 25 years :)
Yea with that gray hair you look older than me :lol: Maybe a little more gray hair would have helped me out ;)

Seriously impressive stuff you do.
What ?? Gray ....Geezz. I just thought it was new young really blond or white hair coming in. :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Helen

Post by Helen » November 25th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I don't have a lot of old injuries to come back to haunt me, but I have noticed that new injuries take longer to heal. I did a slight twist of my ankle last May and it took 6 weeks to fully heal.

Actually, I suppose that ankle could be considered an old injury. That is the ankle I twisted a bit when I went sky diving several decades ago.

potato

Post by potato » November 30th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Well I might not be getting old, but I have medical problems holding me back too :)

I just wrote up some information about it on www.joehikes.com if you're interested, but in short, I got endocarditis and spent some time in the hospital this week. Open heart surgery is on the table if my IV antibiotics don't clear up the bacterial infection. Hoping to avoid that.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Guy

Post by Guy » November 30th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Yikes that was quite a rough week that you had Joe! Hoping that the Antibiotics work their magic for you & no surgery is required.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 30th, 2012, 6:07 pm

I hope you are doing as well as possible Joe

endocarditis - hmmmm - I am channeling "medical" shows like "House"

Guy

Post by Guy » November 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm

endocarditis - hmmmm - I am channeling "medical" shows like "House"
I never watch medical shows because by the end of the episode I'm convinced I'm suffering from the symptoms in the show :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 30th, 2012, 7:12 pm

potato wrote:Well I might not be getting old, but I have medical problems holding me back too :)

I just wrote up some information about it on http://www.joehikes.com if you're interested, but in short, I got endocarditis and spent some time in the hospital this week. Open heart surgery is on the table if my IV antibiotics don't clear up the bacterial infection. Hoping to avoid that.
Good that your symptoms were diagnosed & you're getting treatment. Here's to a speedy recovery, without surgery! :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 30th, 2012, 10:44 pm

potato wrote:Well I might not be getting old, but I have medical problems holding me back too :)

I just wrote up some information about it on http://www.joehikes.com if you're interested, but in short, I got endocarditis and spent some time in the hospital this week. Open heart surgery is on the table if my IV antibiotics don't clear up the bacterial infection. Hoping to avoid that.
Dude!!! I wish you the best, & hope for a full recovery to a great & inspirational trail friend.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Roy

Post by Roy » December 2nd, 2012, 12:52 pm

Wow that's scary stuff I have to take antibiotics before every dental visit because of the different hardware I have collected over the years. Strange how something in your mouth will attack a piece of hardware in your body.

Good luck and will mention it to the big guy up stairs as if he listens to me.

T/R
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura