Cleaning a hydration bladder

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
retired jerry

Re: Cleaning a hydration bladder

Post by retired jerry » September 7th, 2012, 5:43 am

Lemon juice and baking soda

That can't be good

At least it's not Drano and ... what do they put in those???

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 7th, 2012, 8:28 am

Someone makes a tube and bite valve that screws onto a hard nalgene bottle
Camelbak sells a nalgene type bottle with a bite valve.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies so far.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 4th, 2012, 2:03 pm

jdemott wrote:After many years of using nalgene bottles for drinking water, I'm trying out a hydration bladder (an Osprey). After using it the first time, I found that it is pretty difficult to get it completely dry after rinsing it out, which seems like an invitation to growth of bacteria, etc. I see that Osprey sells a hydration cleaning system with two tools and a custom drying rack, plus special cleaning tablets for soaking the bladder. Compared to the ease of washing nalgene bottles in the dishwasher, that whole cleaning system looks like a big pain (plus another expense).

How do you clean and dry your hydration bladder? The manufacturer's system? A DIY alternative? Rinse and hope? What...you're supposed to clean them??

Have any of you tried hydration bladders and later abandoned them as being too fussy?
There are bladders that you can turn inside out & clean in the dishwasher :). I'm posting what I have in the gear forum. Geigerrig.com
Last edited by mayhem on October 4th, 2012, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » October 4th, 2012, 2:15 pm

I rinse my bladder with hot water (not boiling/scalding) a few times, hang it up and tuck a wadded paper towel in it to open it up and sop up some moisture. I swap out the paper towel after a bit. Mine also collects at one end or the other and doesn't drain easily, so I improvised a little. Mine is still new but so far no mold.
Hi!

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 16th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I put a good splash of bleach in about a quart of warm water and let that get all over the inside of the bladder. Then, I let some of the solution out through the bite valve, and let it all sit for at least 30 minutes. To dry, I use paper towels in the bladder and hang the tubing up to dry.

If the bleach doesn't kill it, it can have me.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

PdxSpur

Post by PdxSpur » September 13th, 2013, 8:00 pm

I know this thread hasn't been going for awhile, but thought I would add my two cents. I try to get as much water out as possible, mostly by drawing it out through the mouth piece. I then put it in the freezer til needed again. When I need it again, I pull it out a few minutes before I'm ready fill it. Water tastes fine, every time!!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 13th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Freezer works great on my Platypus bladder, froze the hose to get the mold all crunchy and it just
flaked up and came right out.

I also have a Geiger Rig bladder, I pump the water bag up with air to help hasten evaporation, haven't had to turn it inside out once yet by doing this after each hike...

forester

Post by forester » September 13th, 2013, 8:10 pm

This post has been deleted.