Do the odds of becoming prey increase much at night?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
joerunner

Do the odds of becoming prey increase much at night?

Post by joerunner » June 4th, 2012, 6:44 am

Or does it just feel like it?

retired jerry

Re: Do the odds of becoming prey increase much at night?

Post by retired jerry » June 4th, 2012, 7:04 am

If you're sleeping then you won't be stumbling into any creatures

If you're hiking at night maybe the odds are worse?

Chase

Post by Chase » June 4th, 2012, 7:19 am

Prey to tweakers with weapons peaks at around midnight, after they've done all their meth and consumed all their Coors.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » June 4th, 2012, 8:31 am

The Coors drinkers are rather docile. Its the Busch guys that you got to worry about.

I believe there is a pot growing operation between the trails up at Devils Rest and the Waukenna trail. There is one spot on the Waukenna trail that always has a heavy pot plant smell in the Summer. I frequently see non-hiker looking people up in that area in the Summer too. I was actually thinking about the non human predatory type habits when I posted this.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 4th, 2012, 9:07 am

What I do know:

Animals:
Flashlight or headlamp usually scares them away unless shone directly into their eyes.
To a predator, if it runs, it's dinner! Particularly most of the few but well publicized mountain lion attacks have been against runners or cyclists. Maybe a second headlamp worn backwards (like the backwards mask suggested for those living in tiger country) would help?

Humans:
If you spot signs of a pot grow, avoid it and report promptly to law enforcement. It's more apt to be booby-trapped at night since that's when the thieves come. If folks want to grow it, fine by me, but not on our public lands!
Note that by being out there late at night, you will be considered suspicious, too.

I don't know what else to suggest since I don't go out walking or running at night. Being alert to one's surroundings is, of course, always a good idea, day or night.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 4th, 2012, 11:38 am

Are you certain the smell is not Skunk Cabbage?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

joerunner

Post by joerunner » June 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm

The smell might have been something else, like skunk cabbage. I don't know but the smell is consistently in one area that I noticed. I do remember some kind of bust or chase involving cops and somebody involved with drugs some years back in that area.

On the original topic, I wonder if the fact that very few attacts of humans might be because there are very few humans moving around after dark when predator activity may be highest.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 4th, 2012, 6:30 pm

while I suspect cougars do hunt at night, I honestly don't know.. I do know that predators move about at night (the deer do) , and one thing is the reduced visibility increases your chance of a closeup surprise encounter from should one be in your vicinity.

I would think a bright headlamp would negate all this though, yet I've seem plenty of reflecting eyes hiking at night.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

romann

Post by romann » June 4th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Reflecting eyes from the headlamp give away wild animals at a long distance, if you're paying attention. I don't recall seeing glowing eyes while moving, but saw them a few times circling/watching my camp. They always kept distance where they assumed you cannot see in the dark, so it was a little creepy to see the eyes & trying to guess what it may be.

I read somewhere that deer changed their activity peak to dawn/dusk from mid-day because of humans; it's logical to assume cougars followed their pray. Also read that bears in the Gorge often use human trails at a daybreak when hikers usually gone.

Last summer I talked with a lone hiker in Sheep Lake area of Goat Rocks, shortly after he had a close encounter with a black bear (like 10 yards) in the middle of the day. There were 2 couples just before him who didn't report seeing the bear. Looks like talking/making some noise might be a good way to prevent such encounters.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » June 5th, 2012, 5:59 am

"Looks like talking/making some noise might be a good way to prevent such encounters."

That is a strategy I often deploy when I'm out early morning or after dark alone.