Twisted ankle

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
raven

Re: Twisted ankle

Post by raven » May 30th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I don't know what's best. I've had different experiences.

I was on a ski trip many years ago with the ONC to Odell Lake and went on a long solo ski trip traversing a nearby peak off, followed by descending in another direction followed by a long traverse back. Old days, low shoes, light gear. I began to fall during the descent. Did a few times, my ankle folding each time. Then skied the miles back to join the others for dinner.

The next day my ankle folded and I fell twice on a relatively flat route shortly after I started off - first mile or so. I returned to the lodge, raised my ankle and (maybe) iced it. One of the other skiers was a ER Doc. She diagnosed the specific torn ligament in less than 35 seconds and asked a chiropractic student to show me how to tape the ankle so it would be supported on its weak side while they healed. Tape does not stretch, so I could go up side hills one way but not the other. IIRC, 6 weeks later I was skiing with no further difficulties.

Another time a radiologist was examining an ankle x-ray and said "Did you have a period of time as a kid when you kept on getting sprains?" "Yes" said I. He said, "You had a broken {I don't remember what}".

Another time I just let nature take its course, but I think that was an error. I don't have a weak ankle, but its mobility may have been lessened for a long time after. May still be.

Now I would see a podiatrist -- feet and ankles are their specialty.

Helen

Post by Helen » May 31st, 2012, 6:12 am

Thank you all, I will make an appointment.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 31st, 2012, 9:40 am

Re taping--both my daughter and I (at different times) were given a splint (down the back of the calf, right angle bend and under the foot to the toe) bound firmly with elastic bandage. This kept us from flexing the ankle, and would be the same as taping, but much more comfortable (my history with tape is that a lot of my skin comes off with it, ouch ouch!).

Helen, please let us know how things come out. My parents were of the school, "If you can walk on it, it isn't broken, and if it's not broken, you should walk on it a lot and there's no need for the doctor." They changed their minds after my mother walked around for a week on what turned out to be a broken ankle, but that was quite a few years after the severely sprained ankle I suffered through when I was 16. It took months to heal and never was as strong again.

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » May 31st, 2012, 4:22 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_ankle_rules

This is commonly used by my MDs in the ED...just for future reference.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

forester

Post by forester » June 2nd, 2012, 7:25 am

I have what would be considered "loose ankles". I'm overly prone to sprains. In my old leathery Merrill hiking boots, I was constantly twisting them (once/trip). I noticed that with trail runners it was less, but it still happened. I moved on to Salomon hiking boots and haven't had a twist yet in the 1 1/2 years and they have protected my ankles 100% when it does turn over. They aren't any noticeably heavier than my running shoes. [I wish Salomon would have gotten in the basketball shoe industry, I might have some ankles left...]

I think shoe weight is a big, big factor in foot injuries. The heavier the shoe, the less control you have over where your foot hits and how it hits. Agility is key in preventing these types of injuries.

Helen

Post by Helen » June 6th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Well, I didn't go to a doctor, but I did go to "Brace Yourself" on E. Burnside. The guy was very helpful, I tried on 3 different ankle braces before I found one that was comfortable. I've been able to walk 3 miles to work without limping afterward.

My plan is to stay on cement surfaces for at least 3 more weeks. I will work my way back up to walking to and from work and will start back at the gym.

I want to be sure and be ready for backpacking in August.

Thanks for all the posts.

-helen