flower ID apps

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
pcg

flower ID apps

Post by pcg » June 12th, 2018, 7:54 am

I guess I’m late to the game. I’m just discovering some wonderful wildflower ID apps. Washington Wildflowers is put out by the University of Washington, Burke Museum. Oregon Wildflowers is published by OSU. These are both $10. Oregon Wildflower Search is free and contains over 3,000 species. All appear to be better and easier to use than any books I’ve seen.
Anyone have experience with these?

adamschneider

Re: flower ID apps

Post by adamschneider » June 12th, 2018, 11:25 pm

I use the free ones put out by Steve Sullivan (WildflowerSearch.com), and I think they're excellent.

greglief

Post by greglief » June 13th, 2018, 1:26 am

The ones by Steve Sullivan (which are basically self-contained state- or region-specific versions of his wildflowersearch.com site) are helpful, and I have them on my phone.

However, I also have, and rely upon, the two apps that you mentioned. I purchased these before the abovementioned free apps became available, and have never regretted my decision. During wildflower bloom season I use them on a daily basis, even if I am not in the field.

Naturally there is some overlap in terms of the database contents, but overall I like having all of these references available to me. Also, the paid apps offer several data points for searches/filters that are not available in the free apps: plant size (very useful); leaf margin; and inflorescence shape.

If you have an Android device, I recommend the apps created/published by Flora ID (flora-id.org). Their search/filter functionality is MUCH more comprehensive than any of the previously-mentioned apps.

I hope that this information is helpful.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 13th, 2018, 4:46 pm

I'd agree with Greg that having several sources is most helpful. Photos and descriptions vary in each one, and often you need to verify by cross-checking. Botanical keys in comprehensive guides are the most accurate, but most people don't want to delve that deeply. Also, be aware that a lot of guides/apps don't have full coverage of introduced species, which are what you are going to see a lot of close to human habitation and farmland.

pcg

Post by pcg » June 13th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Thanks all! I've installed all three. I can't believe how powerful the filtered search functions are when compared to just leafing through a printed guide!

Thuja

Post by Thuja » June 13th, 2018, 8:22 pm