Where is this spot along the coast?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
sgyoung

Where is this spot along the coast?

Post by sgyoung » May 24th, 2017, 6:34 am

I'm hoping someone can tell me where these photos are from, even approximately. Way back in 2009 my wife and I decided to break up a drive along the coast by stopping at a view point and then following a boot path (almost certainly not an official trail) to a small, relatively flat grassy point that dropped off steeply into the sea. Neither one of us can recall where we were, other than probably somewhere between Tillamook and Cannon Beach.

It was a great spot and we ended up hanging out there for a long time exploring the area and following various user trails. Smith's recent TR made me think it was God's Thumb, but when I dug up our old photos they didn't match. Does this place have a name or is it just some random pretty place along the coast?

Here are some pictures:

Road side pull off where we parked. There seems to an official trail near by as indicated by the hikers sign along the road. This could be a useful clue.

We walked through this meadow area to the small grassy point in the center of the photo, off in the distance and lower in elevation than the road.

Closer to the trail-end view point:

Looking north from the grassy view point:

Looking south(ish):

This cool looking bit of twisted rock was in the same general area, maybe a short walk north from the view point in the photos above:

And one last photo from the same area:

Thanks for any tips!

bobcat

Re: Where is this spot along the coast?

Post by bobcat » May 24th, 2017, 7:03 am

That's where the Oregon Coast Trail crosses 101 to go up Neahkahnie Mountain. Going down to the right from your car would take you across meadows to some cliff top viewpoints, including over the Devil's Cauldron (2nd last picture), and eventually to Short Sand Beach (all Oswald West State Park).

sgyoung

Re: Where is this spot along the coast?

Post by sgyoung » May 24th, 2017, 11:29 am

Nice! Thanks for the quick answer, Bobcat.