Strange canister on side of trail

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
kepPNW

Re: Strange canister on side of trail

Post by kepPNW » May 16th, 2017, 5:50 am

naturallog wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Saw it Sunday, too. Looked like an old baby wipes container?
I think you're right. You can just make out the "slit" where you pull the wipes from.
Yep, and I poked at with my pole enough to satisfy me it was the same plastic material.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 16th, 2017, 8:37 pm

arlohike wrote:I didn't touch it or even poke at it with my hiking poles. It seemed potentially dangerous or toxic ... it also seemed like its owner wasn't far away.

Probably a good idea. Unless inclined to poke it with a .22 from a safe distance away.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 17th, 2017, 7:14 am

Very good chance it's a geocache. Greg says there is a prolific geocache-hider in the Gorge who has used baby wipe-type containers before.
Back up a minute there. You saw FS employees more than a mile from a trailhead?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

somegeek

Post by somegeek » June 15th, 2017, 8:12 am

Chase wrote:Back up a minute there. You saw FS employees more than a mile from a trailhead?
One time I was on the rim of Helens and a FS employee came up checking permits at the rim.