What fish are these?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Guy

What fish are these?

Post by Guy » November 7th, 2016, 6:26 am

We hiked around Timothy Lake yesterday, while crossing the bridge at the North end of the lake we saw these spawning fish, that seem to die after spawning like Salmon but these sure didn't come from the sea :) Can someone tell me what they are?

Thanks.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

JazzCover

Re: What fish are these?

Post by JazzCover » November 7th, 2016, 7:51 am

Look like Trumparious Carpio, aka Shy Trump supporters. Were they spouting anything about 2nd?

Limey

Post by Limey » November 7th, 2016, 8:03 am

Looks like they might be Kokanee which is a species of land locked salmon.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 22nd, 2016, 7:56 pm

They look more like brook trout, some of which will die after spawning. Spawning kokanee are bigger and bright red above.

The brooks are introduced (Well, Timothy Lake is a fake lake anyway) from the eastern U.S.

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » November 23rd, 2016, 6:09 am

How big are the fish?

Based on color I'd go with brook trout as first choice. I've seen them spawning in mid-late October in the little creeks feeding into Todd Lake. They looked like these pictures.

Tom
- Tom

Koda

Post by Koda » November 23rd, 2016, 7:57 am

I think those are Brook Trout

bobcat wrote:The brooks are introduced (Well, Timothy Lake is a fake lake anyway) from the eastern U.S.
not only is that true, an often overlooked fact about Brook Trout here in Oregon and the west in general is they are now considered an invasive species and are hurting our native trout... IIRC they eat the native trout babies and dominate those streams. ODFW has no limits on size or catch is most all of Oregon for Brook Trout, I believe they can be fished year round.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Charley

Post by Charley » November 23rd, 2016, 9:26 am

Koda wrote:not only is that true, an often overlooked fact about Brook Trout here in Oregon and the west in general is they are now considered an invasive species and are hurting our native trout... IIRC they eat the native trout babies and dominate those streams. ODFW has no limits on size or catch is most all of Oregon for Brook Trout, I believe they can be fished year round.

Yeah. Now, the hard part is correctly differentiating the brookies from the native trout. :?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Koda

Post by Koda » November 23rd, 2016, 9:44 am

Charley wrote:
Koda wrote:not only is that true, an often overlooked fact about Brook Trout here in Oregon and the west in general is they are now considered an invasive species and are hurting our native trout... IIRC they eat the native trout babies and dominate those streams. ODFW has no limits on size or catch is most all of Oregon for Brook Trout, I believe they can be fished year round.

Yeah. Now, the hard part is correctly differentiating the brookies from the native trout. :?
maybe, The closest physical match is the native Brown Trout but your not likely to catch those in any large numbers to do significant damage and in the streams where Brook trout dominate there are usually so many of them they take your bait more often. Most fishermen take the time to identify, its not terribly difficult actually most fishermen can tell and release the Browns.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2