A few flowers I can't seem to ID

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
derwoodynck

A few flowers I can't seem to ID

Post by derwoodynck » March 4th, 2016, 7:33 am

I have been trying my best to ID as best as I can my photos of flowers. Most of them I have been able to come up with something that at least looks right (I am sure I got plenty of them wrong) but that's left me with a handful that I haven't even been able to come up with a guess on. I am deferring to those here that are more knowledgeable in hopes that I can finally move on.

First up is this from Saddle Mountain on 6/1/13

Here are a few from the Three Sisters Wilderness. The first two are from the area near the Foley Ridge/Linton Meadows Trail junction.
8/26/14

7/23/15

Finally this one from the Separation Meadows Trail near the Indian Holes on 7/25/15

Lastly are these taken on 8/14/15 from the Wonderland Trail along Moraine Creek

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone is feeling really motivated here is a link to the album with the rest of the ones I'm having trouble with https://www.flickr.com/photos/9319235@N ... 1024342144. There are approx 15 additional ones there so feel free to take a look and comment on any you recognize :D

adamschneider

Re: A few flowers I can't seem to ID

Post by adamschneider » March 5th, 2016, 5:13 pm

The first one is a saxifrage (dunno which one off the top of my head), the second and third are paintbrush of some kind, the fourth is a geranium, and the fifth is yellow willow-herb (Epilobium luteum). I gotta run right now, but I'll try to add details and look at the others later.

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » March 5th, 2016, 6:38 pm

adamschneider wrote:The first one is a saxifrage (dunno which one off the top of my head), the second and third are paintbrush of some kind, the fourth is a geranium, and the fifth is yellow willow-herb (Epilobium luteum). I gotta run right now, but I'll try to add details and look at the others later.
Thanks Adam, these had become a bit of an obsession. I had thought the one might be a saxifrage but just couldn't find one that seemed to match and I had talked myself into doubting the paintbrush. The last two had me completely lost.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 5th, 2016, 8:09 pm

More details:
- For the saxifrage, I'm gonna go with "bog saxifrage" (Micranthes oregana); it wasn't my first choice until I saw that Paul Slichter has a photo of it on Saddle Mountain!
- The paintbrush is probably "cobwebby paintbrush" (C. arachnoidea), which is common around the Three Sisters.
- The geranium is probably G. richardsonii.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 5th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Others in your flickr album:

- "Wildflower along the Hager Mountain Trail" = rosy pussy-toes
- "Wildflower near Cispus Pass" = alpine buckwheat
- "Little wildflowers near the tarn" = speedwell
- "Wildflower along the Old Santiam Wagon Road" = Queen Anne's lace (a weed), I think
- "Wildflowers in the Columbia Hills Natural Area Preserve" = Yakima or Hood River milk-vetch
- "Flower getting set to bloom" = penstemon of some kind; maybe P. glandulosus?
- "Wildflowers on Grizzly Peak" = in the mustard/cress family; you're on your own from there!
- "Wildflower in Smith Rock State Park" = some kind of thelypody (totally new to me)
- "Wildflowers along the Crooked River" = something in the pea family, possibly a weedy trefoil