Whats This? A Baby Bear Maybe?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
mjuliana

Re: Whats This? A Baby Bear Maybe?

Post by mjuliana » July 1st, 2015, 12:15 pm

I'm looking at the way the front leg is extended. Doesn't that look like a dog's gate? Far from an expert here so I'm just guessing. Would be cool if it was a bear...
Thanks,
Mike J

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 1st, 2015, 12:34 pm

FWIW:

Google says this is a bear cub vs dog

Sometimes they stand weird!

Darned cute, though!

The legs on the "mystery creature" look too short to be a bear...?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Koda

Post by Koda » July 1st, 2015, 1:37 pm

Marvin the Martian and I think its a bear cub. Final answer.

Guy, can you see if there are any tracks out there? Bear tracks are easily identified.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Guy

Post by Guy » July 1st, 2015, 2:22 pm

Yes we regularly have adult bear tracks & poop in our back field Koda, so it would not be a surprise to capture one with a game cam but this one just looked odd to me which is why I posted the photo. There are other poorer quality images to show that it walked right across our field but it seems very small to be out on it's own & the camera didn't get any moma photos unless of course she was operating the camera :) .

I have come down on the same side as you & Marvin the paranoid android though.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

viking

Post by viking » July 6th, 2015, 7:30 pm

After seeing this post I decided to do some research. A few days back on Rock Creek rd (Skamania co.) at about 6:30am I found a bear. The bear obliged by standing up on on the side of the road, run across the road, 6ft leap over the ditch- very graceful- into the brush, stop look at me turn and sprint up the hill.
I will agree with Koda, that is a bear in your picture probably a cub. It's mom might have stayed in the brush just out of frame while the cub played. Did a picnic basket come up missing from your deck that night?

Guy

Post by Guy » July 6th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback Viking.

No more camera captures but the most common time for signs of bear in our field is the fall (Along with the 20 to 30 strong Elk herd that shows up in our filed each year when hunting Season begins!) so stay tuned!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors