mystery garden stray...

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Koda

mystery garden stray...

Post by Koda » June 5th, 2015, 8:24 am

I let a small section of my garden go and weeds quickly overtook it. Last weekend I took all the weeds out but left what I think it a type of kale or lettuce… im not certain as I never planted it….

We bought the house 2 years ago and it came with a garden and this is the second year this plant grew back on its own in the same spot. The first year I thought it was a weed so I pulled it up, this year its back again so I let it grow, there is about 4 of them they look healthy and are growing nicely.

A web search shows a possible match with Curly Kale, so before I go make a salad and find myself in the hospital later on getting my stomach pumped I thought I would put the guilt…. Er I mean ask you guys over hear I figure the community at large would know.

Any ideas?
Attachments
0529151915_b.jpg
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Re: mystery garden stray...

Post by Koda » June 5th, 2015, 8:26 am

sorry bout that, thought it went the first time but had to reduce the file size... photo is up now...
Last edited by Koda on June 5th, 2015, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 5th, 2015, 8:29 am

I don't think it's kale. Perhaps wait until it produces flowers (if it does) and then munch on it next year. May be easier to identify that way. I looks like kale but the leaf doesn't seem leathery enough.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

UTurn

Post by UTurn » June 5th, 2015, 10:44 am

All you need to add to that is a burger and a bun! :lol: I have that lettuce growing in my garden but it's part of a variety pack so not sure the name. I'm going with leaf lettuce as pictured here.
Attachments
leaflettuce.JPG
leaflettuce.JPG (16.83 KiB) Viewed 2999 times

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2015, 10:56 am

mushrooms - you have to worry about being poisonous

leafy green plants like that - if it tastes okay it's probably fine

try it, wait a couple days, and if you're still okay let us know. If we don't hear from you, then we'll know not to eat something like that :lol:

Koda

Post by Koda » June 5th, 2015, 11:35 am

retired jerry wrote:mushrooms - you have to worry about being poisonous

leafy green plants like that - if it tastes okay it's probably fine

try it, wait a couple days, and if you're still okay let us know. If we don't hear from you, then we'll know not to eat something like that :lol:
:lol: Jerry, your invited over for dinner. Fresh garden vegetables and something for the grill...

Im kinda hoping its Kale cause I like to make Kale chips. I grew Russian Kale last year but this isnt that!

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » June 5th, 2015, 12:20 pm

I'm with Jerry, greenleafy+tastesgood=probablynotgonnakillyou.

Break a stalk, smell it.

If it smells ok, taste it.

If it tastes ok, eat some.

If you don't puke, eat more.

Then report back, especially if there are horrible disfiguring side effects.

(i'm not actually sure if kale would pass the "tastes ok" part of this test)

Koda

Post by Koda » June 5th, 2015, 12:55 pm

the problem is I normally get an upset stomach from lettuce, so if its lettuce any test would be pointless. I dont know if you can cook lettuce, that would help... like Kale, I love kale chips when I bake em in the oven. Im hoping its kale.

so maybe one of you guys can come over and step up to the plate (pun intended)

:mrgreen:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Sorry, I'm long on lettuce right now. I don't know what to do with it. All my neighbors close up their blinds and won't answer door when I bring any more to them :lol:

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » June 5th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Koda wrote:so maybe one of you guys can come over and step up to the plate (pun intended)

:mrgreen:
I think I'm too far away to stop by for a snack. I nominate Karl.