Who did this?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
rbcostley

Who did this?

Post by rbcostley » January 5th, 2015, 3:44 pm

About 3 feet up the tree. Cougar?
tree.jpg

kepPNW

Re: Who did this?

Post by kepPNW » January 5th, 2015, 4:59 pm

First instinct would be to say it was a buck scraping the velvet off new antlers.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2015, 6:47 pm

I agree with Karl. I've seen a lot of small trees like scratched up like that in my wanderings.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Koda

Post by Koda » January 5th, 2015, 7:13 pm

roughly 3' and lower deer rub, above that and destroy the whole tree elk rub.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

rbcostley

Post by rbcostley » January 5th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Thanks all!

viking

Post by viking » January 5th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Bears leave a series of parallel scrapes going down a tree trunk. Deer from about a foot off the ground to 3' or so, scrapes usually 1' or less in length. Elk scrape from 2' up to 6' some times, often there scrapes can be 3' in length. both show marks up and down but typically more damage in the up stroke. Both deer and elk will typically stay on one side of a tree when scraping it making marks that can reach around the trunk, deer the marks will be at the same elevation as the front, with elk the marks on the back will be higher than the front. Deer scrapes might be about 1/4" deep, elk can be 3/4" or so. Branched antler deer and elk both can tear up a tree pretty good, but with the low, short marks and no branches knocked off higher my guess is deer.

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 6th, 2015, 8:04 am

What I suspect to be bear scrape? Near Mud Lake below Tomlike Mtn in the Columbia Gorge.

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider