X Marks The Spot??

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
BurnsideBob

X Marks The Spot??

Post by BurnsideBob » October 19th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Just east of the White River Glacier's toe is an enormous boulder marked with an "X" in yellow paint. Looks like the "X" was made with a paint roller about 10" wide some time ago.

Anyone know the story?

Boulder with "X" left and slightly up from photo's center. Timberline Lodge visible upper right.

This boulder is visible in Google Earth Satellite photos--the location is 45.35130 -121.69494
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Peder

Re: X Marks The Spot??

Post by Peder » October 20th, 2014, 6:39 am

I have no clue and I have not been close to there. Thank you for the GPS coordinates, my Garmin BaseCamp map now features an "X Boulder" and that will soon be on my GPS. Now I just have to go explore that area! :D

My Sunday "boulder" was without an "X" but there was a big chamber under it:

"Primitive room to rent, 2,000 sq. ft., great views and located in a quiet neighborhood."
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BurnsideBob

Re: X Marks The Spot??

Post by BurnsideBob » October 20th, 2014, 10:17 am

For anyone who is interested, I've posted a trip report about my White River Glacier trip. You can view it here:

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=20283

Peder, I can send you the text of the Gmap4 url embedded in the TR. It is a list of gps waypoints. Send me a PM if interested.

Sounds like you are coming back to PDX?
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.