Dem bones @ Abiqua Falls (possibly not for kids)

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Splintercat

Dem bones @ Abiqua Falls (possibly not for kids)

Post by Splintercat » June 18th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Hmm... well, I am curious to see if anyone can ID these (also checking with one of the biologists at work), but I'm thinking this set of bones is actually from a small domestic dog... based on the size, what looks like canines and a long, fur-covered tail:

Any ideas..?

Tom :?

Limey

Re: Dem bones @ Abiqua Falls (possibly not for kids)

Post by Limey » June 18th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Looks a lot like the shape of a Bull Terriers skull but it seems rather small next to your keys. The tail looks about right though. So, I'm guessing some small breed along those lines. Whatever breed it is, it wasn't very old. Judging by the condition of the teeth (nice sparkly whites, no tartar) I'd say it was 2-3 years old. Let us know what the biologist comes up with please. I just love forensics.

raven

Post by raven » June 18th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Teenage raccoon? The round long back of the head seems like it ought to be indicative, but maybe the angle is confusing me.

Chase

Post by Chase » June 19th, 2014, 4:56 am

Since it appears whoever's skull it was had their keys next to them when their perished, I'd look for other things like a wallet they may have also had with them. Should be easy to trace back and get an ID. I'm impressed the dog could drive to be honest.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 19th, 2014, 8:22 am

I'm impressed the dog could drive to be honest.
Maybe, but that panic button on the back of the key fob apparently only works with opposable thumbs...

;)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 21st, 2014, 9:03 pm

I agree with raven - it looks much more like a raccoon than dog. Most dog breeds there is a pronounced dip between the frontal bone and the nasal bone.