About This Forum (including useful links)

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
adamschneider

About This Forum (including useful links)

Post by adamschneider » June 17th, 2008, 7:47 am

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals (we assume you already know the big ones!), animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams.

Usually you would post a picture here, but you could also post a description of what you saw. Please start a new topic for each new question, or at least for each new outing.

Below are some useful resources for identifying various bits of nature in the Pacific Northwest. Obviously, this is not comprehensive, and I will add to it as I encounter more useful sites/books. Suggestions are welcome.

Wildflower Web sites: Regional nature identification sites/publications: Nationwide/worldwide resources: Regional books:
Last edited by adamschneider on March 18th, 2019, 8:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Dustin DuBois

Re: About This Forum (including useful links)

Post by Dustin DuBois » December 28th, 2011, 1:08 pm

These are some books that I picked up last year so I could start getting acquainted with the wildlife around me (since I'm going to be surrounded by it more and more!).

[links to amazon]
Image Image
Image Image

Lots of great information in them to help identify plants & animals.. as well as what to do afterward in some cases! A trip to the Oregon Garden wouldn't hurt either =).

(Sorry for the reply over 3 years after-the-post but I didn't want to post a new thread in this forum for this)
Hi!