Flower ID smart phone apps?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
fettster

Flower ID smart phone apps?

Post by fettster » April 15th, 2013, 10:14 am

Anyone had great luck with any smart phone flower ID apps?

fettster

Re: Flower ID smart phone apps?

Post by fettster » April 15th, 2013, 11:19 am

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » April 15th, 2013, 12:20 pm

I just installed the Burke Museum Wash. Wildflowers app, but haven't used it in the field yet. So far, though, I like it. It seems very complete (and probably covers most Oregon wildflowers), and is very user friendly.

I also have the Audubon Wildlflowers app, which I've used in the field some. It isn't so great. First, it's a bit buggy, since it asks me to go through a synch routine every time I use it, even though I've already repeated that drill. Plus, it takes too long to load, both initially and as you page through each species. The search function isn't as easy to use as the Burke one's. And it's definitely not comprehensive for this region. I think it suffers from trying to cover too much territory.

If I were to choose one, it'd definitely be the Burke Museum's.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » April 15th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I have the Audubon Northwest Nature guide app. I think it covers over 700 varieties of wildflowers in the Pacific NW. It is not ideal for trying to identify flowers (as a non-expert I end up browsing through a lot of photos), but it is a nice reference source to have along because, in addition to wildflowers, it covers birds, butterflies, mammals, trees, insects, fishes and more. Not surprisingly, since it is from Audubon, coverage of birds is one of the strong points.