Biohazard at Alder Ridge Elk Meadow?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Webfoot

Biohazard at Alder Ridge Elk Meadow?

Post by Webfoot » December 19th, 2017, 9:33 am

The southwest end of Alder Ridge Elk Meadow is fenced off and bears a sign "BIO-HAZARD KEEP OUT AREA CLOSED." What's this about?

biohazard.jpg
biohazard-aerial.jpg

bobcat

Re: Biohazard at Alder Ridge Elk Meadow?

Post by bobcat » December 21st, 2017, 7:38 am

Interesting, especially since it's a fake meadow, created in the mid-1990s to draw elk away from nearby farm fields. I don't know, but I'm doing trail work there on Saturday, so I'll try to remember to ask the ranger.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 24th, 2017, 9:17 am

Didn't see a ranger yesterday at Oxbow, but we'll be working there again and I'll try to find out. Someone suggested it might be a dump for horse manure, but I don't remember seeing any there!

Guy

Post by Guy » December 24th, 2017, 9:55 am

bobcat wrote:Interesting, especially since it's a fake meadow, created in the mid-1990s to draw elk away from nearby farm fields. I don't know, but I'm doing trail work there on Saturday, so I'll try to remember to ask the ranger.
We live less that a mile from this meadow (as the Elk travels) I can tell you that they still prefer our gardens and fields to this meadow :) To be honest I don't recall ever seeing an elk or signs for Elk in Oxbow, there are lots of deer though. By contrast in the Fall and again in the Spring our neighbors field can have 15+ Elk bedding down in it.

This is purely conjecture but I always thought that was the parks mini sewage treatment / drain field area. ie pumping it up away from the river because there is no sewer system out here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 26th, 2017, 11:22 am

Yep, the grass is always more alluring where they don't want you to be.

I remember seeing a couple of elk at Oxbow once; I recall a couple of fairly sizable herds down in the Nature Conservancy's Sandy River Gorge when you were allowed to hike there. Oxbow may have too many visitors for the elks' comfort. There always seem to be lots of deer, especially around that meadow.

Guy

Post by Guy » December 26th, 2017, 6:38 pm

bobcat wrote:Yep, the grass is always more alluring where they don't want you to be.

I remember seeing a couple of elk at Oxbow once; I recall a couple of fairly sizable herds down in the Nature Conservancy's Sandy River Gorge when you were allowed to hike there. Oxbow may have too many visitors for the elks' comfort. There always seem to be lots of deer, especially around that meadow.
Yeah hard to walk the road between the meadow and the bottom without seeing deer. Though I normally take that trail that's not on the map any more for that section ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 28th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Don't tease. Which trail is that?