Canon 16-28mm ... like a piece of artillery

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
mdvaden

Canon 16-28mm ... like a piece of artillery

Post by mdvaden » February 25th, 2013, 12:35 am

Since my much-liked Tokina 11-16mm did not fit the new Canon 5D Mk II, although it still fits the 60D, I sold it and bought a 16-28mm this weekend. Man ... it's pretty big. No surprise ... knew what I was getting. Doesn't take filters, but I never used any with UWA or Fisheye shooting before anyway.

Anyone else have some heavy combinations?

Guess this lens is not big compared to several others available.

Also ordered a software called Photomatix, which should be arriving this week. Off to Nor Cal redwoods for a few days to gather some photos to tinker with.

flixter

Re: Canon 16-28mm ... like a piece of artillery

Post by flixter » February 25th, 2013, 2:21 am

To mdvaden:
First congrats on your new Canon 5D MkII and lense , I was always under the impression Canon DSLR lenses should fit any
Canon DSLR model, just goes to show that old axiom isn't true anymore. But since you are going to the Redwoods and it
looks as if you plan on some HDR, thought these 2 (25) minute video's on HDR might give you some idea's, so
enough chat here is the link's to Parts 1 and 2:
HDR Panorama Photography with Richard Sisk Part 1.mov - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89LHQ51XEZw
HDR Panorama Photography with Richard Sisk Part 2.mov - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jYaBj1FkK0
FYI: I found Part 2 the most interesting, and Mr. Sisk is one the better pro's at HDR Photography.
Well enjoy your trip and looking forward to seeing your HDR photo's. flixter....

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 25th, 2013, 5:45 am

You can put a lens designed for the full frame 5d mkII on APS-C framed camera but not the other way around the lenses marked EF-S are optimized for the smaller frame. It makes sense if you think of the focus area in relation to the lens. Big to small okay. Small to big not okay.

I had to sell my 5d mkII and really miss it. Enjoy, it's a great camera, well suited to your monster trees. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » February 25th, 2013, 1:27 pm

I use the HDR Photomatix program sometimes. It has been helpful in bringing tones out on hazy skies in particular. With the large fires we are now getting in our forests, this helps. I have taken multiple exposures of Sitka Spruce, Hemlock and used the Photomatix program to get some nice tones.

The biggest problems I have seen come with movement. Something like a cloud that doesn't have a lot of density usually works ok. Something more dense like a flower blowing in the wind can and does blurr when the images are fused. Something like a wave, the whites can gain a lot of neutral density. There is an anti ghosting procedure that can help, but I don't see that much improvement at times.

I do often now take those extra bracketed frames to have in case I want to try running these through Photomatix. Make sure your frames you want to fuse have the same dimension. Even a couple pixels and the program will not proceed. I am still shooting 6X7 film, so I have to watch my scan file size to make sure photos are the same pixel count. Even with the scanned film color, I do like the results I get with this HDR program on some captures.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » March 2nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Feeling even better about this lens purchase now that I've had a chance to get a feel for it. Sort of took a path of fun.
Attachments
Ranger_600.jpg
glasses_HDR600.jpg
Boy_Sc_LR600.jpg
crescent_city_play_600.JPG