Choosing a backpack for photography

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
dhaval257

Choosing a backpack for photography

Post by dhaval257 » August 10th, 2016, 11:53 am

Hello guys,

Let me take a chance to introduce myself. I recently moved to NW and I am overwhelmed with the natural beauty here. I have been doing photography as a hobby for a while and also weekend day hikes. I would want to go ahead and combine two of my hobbies.
  • I am looking to buy a backpacking backpack for weekend hikes(1-2 nights). Happy to get recommendation on size as well. Currently I am thinking 50-60 liters.
  • Obviously, a ten and sleeping bag/ pad
  • Need to safely carry, Nikon DX camera and an extra lens
  • Not sure about tripod, if I want to carry it or not.

Do you guys have any recommendation on which backpack I should choose to meet my needs?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

kaltbluter

Re: Choosing a backpack for photography

Post by kaltbluter » August 10th, 2016, 1:13 pm

For the past few years I've been carrying my camera in a bag on my chest, hooked to my pack straps. It works pretty well for me.

This looks pretty close the the bag shown in the picture below.

Sometimes I strap a full size tripod to the side of my pack but usually I just stuff a Pedco Ultrapod inside the camera bag.
Attachments
three backpacks.jpg

jdemott

Post by jdemott » August 10th, 2016, 5:09 pm

I agree with kaltbluter about carrying the camera in front. Presumably you are going to want to take photos along the way...and you don't want to have to stop and get the camera out of the backpack each time you see a photo opportunity. The easiest thing, of course, is to simply carry the camera on a strap around your neck. But that gets awkward if you have to do any scrambling, as I learned to my dismay when my camera swung into a rock (fortunately breaking only a filter over the lens). A small frontpack works well. Whatever type of pack you choose, bring along waterproof stuff sacks for your camera gear so you can protect it in the event of rain.

It is generally pretty easy to attach a lightweight tripod to the side of most backpacks.

dhaval257

Post by dhaval257 » August 10th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Thanks guys for reply. I would want to take pictures while hiking, but not a lot.

I would like to put my comfort ahead of my urge to take picture every now and then.

I was searching online for options. Then I came across couple of photography backpacks from Lowepro and F-stop. But they are made for a photographers who want to carry their entire studio with them :P. Too many slots for 4-5 lenses, flash and what not.
But then I found that what couple of guys do is, they carry normal backpacking backpack, inside of it they carry a a padded compartment which holds camera and a lens.

I think, that seems like a good idea I should go after.

What do you guys say ?

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 11th, 2016, 7:10 am

There really is no easy or convenient way to dig a camera out from under all your overnight gear. It would have to be either in the top, making your load shift uncomfortably, or on the bottom, where you might set your pack down and damage it. I wear mine around my neck on a strap but that is tedious for the reasons mentioned previously. The front pack is the way to go. I would rather have my camera there, accessible, than buried in my pack and needing to either skip taking the picture I wanted or spend an hour futzing with trying to repack the bag when I am finished.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 11th, 2016, 9:26 am

kaltbluter wrote:For the past few years I've been carrying my camera in a bag on my chest, hooked to my pack straps. It works pretty well for me.

This looks pretty close the the bag shown in the picture below.

Sometimes I strap a full size tripod to the side of my pack but usually I just stuff a Pedco Ultrapod inside the camera bag.
I have a similar arrangement when I hike with a DSLR although I run the pack belt through loops on the the bag in addition to hanging it on my straps. Having a camera around my neck puts too much pressure on my neck and gives me headaches and I dislike it swinging. Having the strap diagonally across my torso is also uncomfortable.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

jdemott

Post by jdemott » August 11th, 2016, 12:02 pm

I was searching online for options. Then I came across couple of photography backpacks from Lowepro and F-stop. But they are made for a photographers who want to carry their entire studio with them :P. Too many slots for 4-5 lenses, flash and what not.
But then I found that what couple of guys do is, they carry normal backpacking backpack, inside of it they carry a a padded compartment which holds camera and a lens.
You could buy a small camera pack like kaltbluter mentioned. You could use it as a padded compartment inside your backpack for times when you don't want to bother with the camera. And you could wear it in front or on a strap at times you want to have quick access to your camera.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 11th, 2016, 6:40 pm

I have used the mind shift camera bag (sister company of think tank) for the last year.
It has a waist belt and fits it with my backpack quite well, I loop the camera strap through my sternum strap to keep it out of the way and also to keep the camera from falling when I pull it out of the bag. It is a very light weight bag (6 oz) and keeps the moisture and trail dust off of the camera. I keep the tripod in a side pocket of my pack, and my extra lenses near the top of my backpack. It comes in three sizes. If you have your lens hood on, it is even easier for the bungee to wrap around the lens.

As for my backpack I use the Gregory Baltoro 75 Pack, though I am thinking of moving to an ultra light pack like my wife and son have done.

Mind Shift Gear B&H Photo

The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » August 12th, 2016, 12:26 am

I found that what couple of guys do is, they carry normal backpacking backpack, inside of it they carry a padded compartment which holds camera and a lens.

I think, that seems like a good idea I should go after.

What do you guys say ?[/quote]

That's exactly what I do.... I have had 4 ? Kelty frame packs over the years. A couple years back I got one of the last Kelty Tioga on the planet :lol: . The middle compartment that has an outside access has always been for photo gear and day pack in case I want to go after a shot. The cameras and lenses have always been loaded in their soft cases inside with thermals and excess clothing for padding. This is not the set up for someone who wants to shoot lots of photos, though I have used this setup for 40 years and never lost more than a shutter release last year out there... near that cell phone one of our other hikers lost in the 3 Sisters. Who knows maybe they will find one another. :P

I did finally break down and carry a cheap lite weight digital for those (shoot and go) that can fit in my pocket. The heavier stuff stays put until I get to what I want to actually get a good quality shot of. I already have a closet full of trail photos so as I get older those have become less important and the actual photographs that matter to me are usually thought out ahead of time. I don't need to constantly stop to get at that equipment. Obviously this setup isn't for everyone. I do also always have a UV filter on lenses as mentioned by jdemott. Much cheaper than a new lens. Myself I take them off for the actual photo thou.. ;)

dhaval257

Post by dhaval257 » August 12th, 2016, 9:37 am

@rainrunner - Yes, carrying 6 oz mind shift would not hurt I guess. It is best for summit shot after you setup the tent I think. Might get one. Thanks :)

@Steve20050 - I think this is something I would wanna do. Not sure about carrying a point on shoot in pocket for quick shots but definately get padded compartment. do you have any suggestions for those?

General questions, for 1-2 nighters how much liter backpack is okay?