Which pedometer is best?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
forestkeeper

Which pedometer is best?

Post by forestkeeper » October 19th, 2012, 4:57 am

Hey everyone. Do any of you wear a pedometer out on the trails? When I had my Garmin 60 cx, it accurately calculated my distance, speed, etc., but after it escaped from my hip pack last Spring on the Clackamas River Trail, I've been having all sorts of problems. I was able to buy a Magellan 315 gps, but it doesn't like to function properly under a dense forest canopy. I've been walking the trails at Mt. Talbert County Park near the Clackamas Town Center for daily exercise, and this is one of the areas my Magellan doesn't like, so here I am, in search of a pedometer. I also like to go back and forth on certain trails, where it gets steep, to train my muscles to gear up to hikes with the famous Loonies next year. Any ideas on what to purchase and how do you use them?

Thanks!

FK

Lurch

Re: Which pedometer is best?

Post by Lurch » October 19th, 2012, 12:15 pm

;)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 19th, 2012, 3:14 pm

:D Ahhhhhhh. Grahhsopper!!! :lol: :lol: I remember you covering this in one of my threads. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to count. 1,123... 1,124...1,125...1,126...Then I see a good looking jogger on the trail."Hey, good looking!" I say with a wink. "Get lost you ole coot!" she says. Ok, where was I. Oh man. Geez whiz. I lost my count.
1...2...3...4... :? :shock: :o :roll:

Thanks Lurch!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 19th, 2012, 9:44 pm

ForestKeeper wrote:Hey everyone. Do any of you wear a pedometer out on the trails? When I had my Garmin 60 cx, it accurately calculated my distance, speed, etc., but after it escaped from my hip pack last Spring on the Clackamas River Trail, I've been having all sorts of problems. I was able to buy a Magellan 315 gps, but it doesn't like to function properly under a dense forest canopy. I've been walking the trails at Mt. Talbert County Park near the Clackamas Town Center for daily exercise, and this is one of the areas my Magellan doesn't like, so here I am, in search of a pedometer. I also like to go back and forth on certain trails, where it gets steep, to train my muscles to gear up to hikes with the famous Loonies next year. Any ideas on what to purchase and how do you use them?

Thanks!

FK
If your just looking for a pedometer, every smart phone has a decent app for that. I personally think the fit bit is the best pedometer with other features to help with health. I have the Nike Fuel Band & the 24hr Bodybugg.
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 15&t=13465
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2012, 8:42 am

ForestKeeper wrote:Hey everyone. Do any of you wear a pedometer out on the trails?
I've been trying out AccuPedo on my (android) phone the last week. Seems to work very well. Free.

(44k+ steps on the trail yesterday! Yowza.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...