Canister vs. Alcohol Stove

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Grannyhiker

Re: Canister vs. Alcohol Stove

Post by Grannyhiker » October 19th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Platys have the same threads as many soda bottles
Not the newer Platys. That's why the new Platys (the ones with the curved-in sides and garish colors) are not compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze filter. I'm not sure what Cascade Designs thought they were doing by going to non-compatible threads, but they are definitely losing market share, as witness the current demand for and shortage of Evernew water carriers.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 19th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I just did a test with my cat can stove (see a previous post of mine this topic thread for a link).

25 cc of Heet boiled 2 cups of water in my 65° garage in 7 minutes without a windscreen.

I'm a happy camper! Now to work on the windscreen.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 19th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I got this kit a few years ago and absolutely love it:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigrav ... k-set.html

I bought an extra bottle for fuel (I tend to use more than I need to), but this setup is very compact and light and as long as you do "boil" meals, it works great. After having a white gas stove break (the fuel line sprung a leak at a joint), I enjoy the simplicity of an alcohol stove.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Koda

Post by Koda » October 19th, 2012, 7:43 pm

it works, I took the time today to make one. I chose the classic Penny 2.0 Stove. It took more time to read about it than make it, but once you make one they are super easy.

I started with this...

then wound up with this...

Then I had to fashion a crude pot stand out of a coat hanger...

It boiled 2 cups of water in 5 minutes. it burned a bit longer, but not long enough for another 2 cups. The Penny Stove is super tiny (and this was the larger one...) and does not seem to hold much fuel. I didnt measure the fuel (yet) but estimate about an ounce +/-. I used Methyl Alcohol (Yellow "HEET") and I tried Isopropyl alcohol (70%) and that did not work at all.

I'm curious now what kind of these open and pressurized jet alcohol stoves burn the longest? I'm tempted to make another type and play around a bit.. what I'm after here is how much fuel to bring along, like how many 2 cup boils do I get with ~4oz fuel or something.

oh yeah, the weight of the complete Penny 2.0 Stove (empty): 5/8oz, if I include my wire pot stand 1 1/4 oz.
Last edited by Koda on October 20th, 2012, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » October 19th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Koda wrote:the little bottle, for the fuel I'm assuming... can you tell me how much fuel you bring in ounces and how long it lasts (8oz boils)?
I use a 375ml plastic vodka bottle, because it's tough as nails and was free. But it's heavy and I'm looking for something lighter. Last about a week for me -- that's about two 12oz boils/day, I think. be sure to label it as poison if using denatured ethanol.

P.S. alcohol stoves need a better windscreen than canister stoves because the flame is blown around easier.
Koda wrote: I used Methyl Alcohol (Yellow "HEET") and I tried Isopropyl alcohol (70%) and that did not work at all.
I buy denatured alcohol at a farm supply. Sunnyside brand, one gallon. $15 last time.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 19th, 2012, 8:38 pm

A yellow bottle of Heet is cheaper where I get it than buying methyl alcohol in a gallon can.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 20th, 2012, 7:13 am

Koda wrote: I used Methyl Alcohol (Yellow "HEET") and I tried Isopropyl alcohol (70%) and that did not work at all.
I buy denatured alcohol at a farm supply. Sunnyside brand, one gallon. $15 last time.
I seem to recall something somewhere that said that while heet would work, denatured alcohol puts off more heat (faster boil times). I only use denatured alcohol in my stove now.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Koda

Post by Koda » October 20th, 2012, 7:40 am

RobFromRedland wrote: I buy denatured alcohol at a farm supply.
Ideally I was hoping I could find all the fuel I need for cheap at any common store like Fred Meyers. I found the yellow Heet at Thriftway... thats part of what makes this idea attractive. But I'll look around for Denatured Alcohol for certain.

I might make a couple more, different styles though I want to try a side burner to eliminate the need for a pot stand. Also, the 1/2 Penny Stove looks cool too. One question I have is does jet hole diameter and quantity matter? ie: are more smaller holes more efficient than larger/less holes. (The Penny 2.0 stove used 6X 1/16" diameter holes)

this is drifting off topic... maybe a new topic on how to build is in order.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 20th, 2012, 8:25 am

Koda

Since you are doing all this experimenting already, it would be interesting to see what your findings are - does denatured alcohol actually boil faster than heet? I would be really interested in your results. Using the same stove model, of course.

I remember seeing a bunch of reviews on alcohol stoves way back when, and there are some very strong opinions on what is the "best" design. I have a side burner and it works good for me.

Great topic!

Koda

Post by Koda » October 20th, 2012, 8:47 am

RobFromRedland wrote:Koda

Since you are doing all this experimenting already, it would be interesting to see what your findings are - does denatured alcohol actually boil faster than heet? I would be really interested in your results. Using the same stove model, of course.

I remember seeing a bunch of reviews on alcohol stoves way back when, and there are some very strong opinions on what is the "best" design. I have a side burner and it works good for me.

Great topic!
I started a new topic for this http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 15&t=13640. Lets return this thread back to the OP and leave it to discussing the advantages between canister vs. alcohol stoves, a valid topic in its own right.